360 Duster Headers Problems

-

'76duster

Young but knows some stuff...
Reaction score
1976 Plymouth Duster 4 speed Small block 360 manual steering...

I am installing Hedman or Hooker headers(cant remember which they were) and the driver side header is hitting my manual steering box before the motor mounts line up. To be more specific the furthest forward tube is the one that is hitting the top of the steering box. Has anyone ever had this problem, the only thing i can find out that could be wrong is I have a large sector steering box. Any info or way around this problem would be appreciated. :banghead:

Have you put new motor mounts in, they compress after years of use and can cause problems with headers. Just a thought.

Welcome to the world of low budget headers and A bodies. I installed a cheap set in mine, and I had to ding them in a couple of places to get the driver side to fit. Passenger side fit fine.

I guess you need to determine exactly how much of an interference it is and then you may have to compensate by dinging that one tube to clear.

My headers were hitting the steering column so I installed a shim under the mount to give me a little clearance. How much interference do you have?

Ya they are brand new motor mounts. I ended up just heating the tube up and hitting it with a hammer but it is still really close. Does anyone know if all that heat right next to the steering box will hurt the steering box at all?

It doesn't seem to mess with my power box. I did have to insulate one of the hydraulic lines.

It was about a 1/4 inch or so. I like the shim idea so im gonna see if i can make something up. Thanks for the replies everyone.

If you have any thoughts with issues in the P/S fluid being or getting to hit. A simple cooler can be installed.

-
Back