360 ext bal harm balancer choices

-

360moparjunkie

Reaction score
For those of you helping me on my build thanks again.

Need to choose a externally balanced h. balancer for my 360.

Machine shop has my crank to turn, rods to re-size & balance, pistons to weigh and press.

They are needing a h. balancer. So many out there. Which one to get?

I've heard of a problem on an earlier thread where the balancer hits the front cover and timing marks. Don't want those issues on my motor.

Looking again for $ well spent.
Any recomendations?

Thanks Again

Id run your stock one. Its cheap (free if you have it) and will work plenty well for what you are looking to acheive.

If you run the stock one, there may be 2 versions. One has a blob of weight added to it and the other may have weight removed from it. Net effect is the same, just less weight to be slinging around. And then again, maybe I saw this on an aftermarket balancer...try Mancini's for a new SFI unit. Bob

If you run the stock one, there may be 2 versions. One has a blob of weight added to it and the other may have weight removed from it. Net effect is the same, just less weight to be slinging around. And then again, maybe I saw this on an aftermarket balancer...try Mancini's for a new SFI unit. Bob

you are correct about the 2 stock styles...

Get the Mopar Performance 360 balancer. Perrrfect !

Part# P5007301

$100.00

Thats what I run on my 360.

Get real.....Get Mopar !!!!!!!!

Id run your stock one. Its cheap (free if you have it) and will work plenty well for what you are looking to acheive.

My stock balancer is history. Gone for good

Should I just use a stocker?

My machine shop will sell me an aftermarket for 10.00 over cost @ 125.00

Have not gone so far to price them out yet. Am needing one soon though.

Thanks 602

i have a summit externally balanced sfi balancer on an engine at home....fits with no problem....

pappy's tri tip?

That stuff's killer.

this has probably been asked but how much to internally balance it?

I've been steered away from the internal balance idea by my machine shop out of a concern for costs. I did not force them to give me a quote though.

I need to provide the h balancer and an externally balanced flex plate as well.

They are telling me that when finished I will be using a neutral balanced torque convertor.

Nocking off the weight would be ok too I've heard.

Maybe that should be another thread.

what you are doing is perfectly ok....external balancer and external balanced flexplate....lets you use a neutral balanced converter....

i have a summit externally balanced sfi balancer on an engine at home....fits with no problem....

What is SFI?

Looks like another 50.00 for that damper to me. Also spec. at 6.610"
Little smaller that the two I am looking at for 80.-100. @ 7.25"

Looks like the summit one for $79.95

vs.

Mopar perfomance for $99.98

Is there any difference?
The summit one does look cooler.

If it avoids problems I'll do the Mopar perf. one.

Got to admit,the Summit balancer looks like a nice piece with the timing marks. Just depends which way you want to go.I prefer the Mopar piece.
Built with their 360 in mind.

Go with the B&M 360 flex plate.

what you are doing is perfectly ok....external balancer and external balanced flexplate....lets you use a neutral balanced converter....

Cool, They have recommended the B&M flexplate.

Need to find these items to get them on the road.

727- B&M #10236
904- B&M #10239

Make sure you use the special flex plate bolts as well.
Good place for the Red Loctite.

727- B&M #10236
904- B&M #10239

Make sure you use the special flex plate bolts as well.
Good place for the Red Loctite.

Sh**!

I've not chosen a trans yet.

I have an old po dunk mid 60's 904. Probably full of spiders.

Heard the 727 pulls an additional 20hp thru the drivetrain assy.
If that's true I would want a 904.

Sounds silly, but chosing my trans. now is going to dictate my flexplate. Hmh.

I have a built 727 in storage,and a stock 904 in the car.
I'z like the 904.

What is SFI?

Looks like another 50.00 for that damper to me. Also spec. at 6.610"
Little smaller that the two I am looking at for 80.-100. @ 7.25"

SFI is a certification that is required by nhra/ihra dragracing assoications that the product has been tested and meets or exceeds the SFI requirements...

on balancers it has to do with how safe they are at high rpm...if you run faster then 10.99 you are required to have a SFI certified balancer...

Use stock balancer. no need to spend 100 dollars on one. Ask around maybe someone has one locally to donate. Or check the bone yards for one. Give them 5 or ten buck and your time to remove it.

If you have the 904 use it. I have heard the 904 vs 727 power thing many of times. I dont actually belive it. I prefer 727 because the internals and converters are interchangeable between big and small block.

A buddy of mine had a 904 with low 1st gear. He had the power arguement also. So he finally gave in and we put in a 727 i had ready to go that didnt have low 1st gear. He went on average half a tenth faster almost 2 mph faster the next weekend.

Regardless of power if you have a 904, cant beat the price.

Use stock balancer. no need to spend 100 dollars on one. Ask around maybe someone has one locally to donate. Or check the bone yards for one. Give them 5 or ten buck and your time to remove it.

If you have the 904 use it. I have heard the 904 vs 727 power thing many of times. I dont actually belive it. I prefer 727 because the internals and converters are interchangeable between big and small block.

A buddy of mine had a 904 with low 1st gear. He had the power arguement also. So he finally gave in and we put in a 727 i had ready to go that didnt have low 1st gear. He went on average half a tenth faster almost 2 mph faster the next weekend.

Regardless of power if you have a 904, cant beat the price.

i removed 727 from race car...installed 904 in race car...picked up .15 and 2 mph...believe it.

SFI is a certification that is required by nhra/ihra dragracing assoications that the product has been tested and meets or exceeds the SFI requirements...

on balancers it has to do with how safe they are at high rpm...if you run faster then 10.99 you are required to have a SFI certified balancer...

10.99? Not with my 1.88" J heads. Doubt I have compression for that either.

Thanks for the clarification. Would love to go 10.99.

I'll be pretty happy to bust into low 13's.... High 12's and I'd be doing cartwheels.

Hating to dig this back out of the grave....but I need some more clarification on this 360 external balanced harmonic balancer AND OEM torque convertor issue.

As some of you know I just got a 1974 Duster 360 (with original engine in it) and recently purchased a 1989 Roller Cam 360 from a friends D250 4x4...Well this friend had already salvaged some parts before I got the engine...and it was minus accessories, AND harmonic balancer/crank pulley....everything else was there injection to oil pan.

I am building the Roller Cam 360 to install in the duster....and I am trying to understand the externally balanced harmonic balancer issue....I bought a Harmonic Balancer specifically for a 1989 Dodge D250 4x4 5.9L through the local Dodge Dealer, and when it showed up....it doesn't have a offset counterweight like the 1974 360 blocks' balancer does.....It has a 30% of the circumfrence 1/4 deep groove, and the standard 6 bolt pattern crank pulley holes....Is this right?...or does it still need the thick offset weight?

I have a stock flexplate and a counterweighted TC + 727....am I good to go this way as well?

-
Back