360 Flywheel and torque converter

-

Bronze Barracuda

Reaction score
Are there different types of flywheels for 360's?
Years
Cars vs Trucks
Manual Transmission vs Automatic
727 vs 904

I need to find one for a 1990 360 that will be infront of a 727 going into a Ramcharger. There is a 1998 Ram at my local pick and pull. Would the flywheel out of it work? Also can I put any 360 TC on it. I have a lockup from a late 80's truck?

:popcorn: Watching. I don't know if all 360's are external balanced from factory. If it is you need a 360 TC. They do make some type of adapter plate for a non-external balanced TC but wait for more experienced advice.

Last edited:
Years
Cars vs Trucks
727 vs 904

I need to find one for a 1990 360 that will be infront of a 727 going into a Ramcharger. There is a 1998 Ram at my local pick and pull. Would the flywheel out of it work? Also can I put any 360 TC on it. I have a lockup from a late 80's truck?
If you're going to use a 727, why are you even asking about manual transmission flywheels?
Torque convertors are trans. specific- 904 v.s. 727, 10" v.s. 11"; and no, you can't use a lockup convertor on a standard 3 spd. non-L.U. automatic. The input spline splines are completely different.
What you do need:
Two ways you can go-
1.) Get a factory flexplate and externally balanced torque convertor for an LA 360/727 combo, either 10 or 11", but the flexplate and TC need to match. All LA360s use the same external balance. Don't even think about using Magnum 5.9 parts on it.
2.) Get any internally (neutral) balanced torque convertor for a 727, and use the B&M 10236 flexplate, which takes the LA360 balance into consideration.
DO NOT mix and match any parts between 1.) and 2.) !!
And make sure your 727 is for a smallblock, not a big block.

Years
Cars vs Trucks
727 vs 904

is a 90 360 a magnum? if so i believe it is different then a LA 360. someone correct me if i'm wrong.

is a 90 360 a magnum? if so i believe it is different then a LA 360. someone correct me if i'm wrong.
A 1990 would be a roller LA, not a Magnum. Same balance as earlier flat tappet LA 360s.
5.9 (360) Magnums started in 1993, 5.2 (318) Magnums started in 1992.

360LA has a larger flexplate counterweight than a magnum does. In addition, the earlier magnums have a weighted tc as opposed to flex plate. You need pre 1991 stuff for a 360/727

Ok working right now, I'll get back after I'm finished. Thanks.
1 thing I was/am not very knowledgeable on the proper terminology flexplate/flywheel.:thumbsup:

If you're going to use a 727, why are you even asking about manual transmission flywheels?
Torque convertors are trans. specific- 904 v.s. 727, 10" v.s. 11"; and no, you can't use a lockup convertor on a standard 3 spd. non-L.U. automatic. The input spline splines are completely different.
What you do need:
Two ways you can go-
1.) Get a factory flexplate and externally balanced torque convertor for an LA 360/727 combo, either 10 or 11", but the flexplate and TC need to match. All LA360s use the same external balance. Don't even think about using Magnum 5.9 parts on it.
2.) Get any internally (neutral) balanced torque convertor for a 727, and use the B&M 10236 flexplate, which takes the LA360 balance into consideration.
DO NOT mix and match any parts between 1.) and 2.) !!
And make sure your 727 is for a smallblock, not a big block.
Thanks, I wasn't sure what it (flexplate) was called, I was in a bit of hurry this morning. Until I retire, work comes before fun. I was 99% sure there was nothing a manual transmission used similar to an automatic. Just before I fell asleep last night I did a quick google and marketplace search for a "flywheel " (my bad) for a 360. Which sent me down the wrong path right from the get go. Apparently there are different flywheels for trucks. But regardless the flywheel part is cleared up. :thumbsup:

I've built a few motors before but always had the complete motor from balancer to flexplate.
Unfortunately this is the first time I've ever built a motor with different years of collected parts.
1990 block - 1975 Heads 1980 - Intake Also I had no Flexplate or TC. So things definitely get more complicated when ya start mixing stuff up. Lessons learned along the way. Thankfully lots of help from good folks at FABO!

I do know that I have a lockup TC that's been lying around for a few years. I won't get into the Ramcharger more than questions on the engine and tranny, as engines and transmissions are pretty universal. The transmission I'm putting the 360 infront of was hooked up to a 318 (is a 727) so I definitely need to change the flexplate and TC. I will check to verify the year of the transmission when I get home as well as the TC that was used for the 318. I suppose if it's a lock up that was on the 727 for the 318 then I can use my 360 lockup TC. Otherwise I guess I'll be looking for a non lockup TC and a proper 360 flex plate.

Once again thanks for all the great help.

Thanks, I wasn't sure what it (flexplate) was called, I was in a bit of hurry this morning. Until I retire, work comes before fun. I was 99% sure there was nothing a manual transmission used similar to an automatic. Just before I fell asleep last night I did a quick google and marketplace search for a "flywheel " (my bad) for a 360. Which sent me down the wrong path right from the get go. Apparently there are different flywheels for trucks. But regardless the flywheel part is cleared up. :thumbsup:

I've built a few motors before but always had the complete motor from balancer to flexplate.
Unfortunately this is the first time I've ever built a motor with different years of collected parts.
1990 block - 1975 Heads 1980 - Intake Also I had no Flexplate or TC. So things definitely get more complicated when ya start mixing stuff up. Lessons learned along the way. Thankfully lots of help from good folks at FABO!

I do know that I have a lockup TC that's been lying around for a few years. I won't get into the Ramcharger more than questions on the engine and tranny, as engines and transmissions are pretty universal. The transmission I'm putting the 360 infront of was hooked up to a 318 (is a 727) so I definitely need to change the flexplate and TC. I will check to verify the year of the transmission when I get home as well as the TC that was used for the 318. I suppose if it's a lock up that was on the 727 for the 318 then I can use my 360 lockup TC. Otherwise I guess I'll be looking for a non lockup TC and a proper 360 flex plate.

Once again thanks for all the great help.
No prob.!
In this case, I would just use the original 318 torque convertor (you know it works with the Ramcharger's trans.) with the B&M 10236 flexplate that I mentioned. It will give you the proper external balance to enable you to use the neutral balance 318 convertor on your 360.

No prob.!
In this case, I would just use the original 318 torque convertor (you know it works with the Ramcharger's trans.) with the B&M 10236 flexplate that I mentioned. It will give you the proper external balance to enable you to use the neutral balance 318 convertor on your 360.
Well learning continues. I did not realize that 318's were neutral balanced and could be used with a 360

Only with the special flexplate I mentioned above.
Ok.
When I got home I checked the numbers on the transmission/s
The one that was in the RC is a 1981 4WD LU (Lock Up) hooked up to a 318.
The one that I've had for a few years is a 1980 Long HD EXT LU.
So both TC I have for a 727 are LU.
Thanks.

Picture of the numbers I got off the transmissions. Cross referenced in the book.

PXL_20240717_015306141.jpg

PXL_20240717_015321870.jpg

PXL_20240717_015856080.jpg

PXL_20240717_015901652.jpg

PS a little bit of my insanity.
There's my 68 Barracuda waiting on me. The RC came along and took over. :lol:

PXL_20240717_020202505.jpg

PXL_20240717_020225697.jpg

PXL_20240717_020231272.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, if it is a lockup trans, just use your 360 LU convertor and a standard Mopar flexplate. No need for the B&M plate.

360LA has a larger flexplate counterweight than a magnum does. In addition, the earlier magnums have a weighted tc as opposed to flex plate. You need pre 1991 stuff for a 360/727
Factory 360 LA did not use a flexplate counterweight. Ever. They were weighted on the torque convertor.

Factory 360 LA did not use a flexplate counterweight. Ever. They were weighted on the torque convertor.
Ok good to know. The 3 available at Rock auto have two different sizes, none are 11 inch. Not sure where they're measured from. But two of the 3 are 10" (measured from bolt circle) or 10.625 outer diameter. And the one liner is 12" outer diameter. Curious does the size of the flexplate outer diameter even matter?

When you assemble the TC to the engine, remember that there is one offset bolt on the torque convertor/flexplate- it only fits in one position. Fit the TC to the flexplate ahead of time, and mark them both with a daub of paint so alignment will be less frustrating when you're lying on your back under the car...

Ok good to know. The 3 available at Rock auto have two different sizes, none are 11 inch. Not sure where they're measured from. But two of the 3 are 10" (measured from bolt circle) or 10.625 outer diameter. And the one liner is 12" outer diameter. Curious does the size of the flexplate outer diameter even matter?
The size is determined by the bolt circle for the TC.

-
Back