360 harmonic balancer

-

woods

Reaction score
I'm in the process of building a 360 and have a quick question
I picked up a Summit Racing harmonic balancer to use on the engine and noticed it was lighter than the factory one by 2 lbs. factory is 11.2 lbs and the summit one is 9.2 lbs.
The engine is staying externally balanced and the new balancer states that it is for an externally balanced engine.
I didn't get the internal parts balanced during the build.
Do you think there could be any issue with this?
thanks

I'm in the process of building a 360 and have a quick question
I picked up a Summit Racing harmonic balancer to use on the engine and noticed it was lighter than the factory one by 2 lbs. factory is 11.2 lbs and the summit one is 9.2 lbs.
The engine is staying externally balanced and the new balancer states that it is for an externally balanced engine.
I didn't get the internal parts balanced during the build.
Do you think there could be any issue with this?
thanks
I'd rather have less weight hanging on the end of the crank.
Realize If you didn't re balance anything ..then chances of it being perfect go out the window, however that doesn't exclude being close if you used those clevite replacement pistons etc
It can still provide the counter weight necessary to give the factory spec balance without weighing a ton.

360s are externally balanced as far as I know, unless you use a bunch of mallory metal on the crank during the rebuild.

sb

Realize If you didn't re balance anything ..then chances of it being perfect go out the window, however that doesn't exclude being close if you used those clevite replacement pistons etc
It can still provide the counter weight necessary to give the factory spec balance without weighing a ton.

What he said. ^^^^^^

Thanks, The new pistons wei
I figured the 2 lbs wouldn't effect the balancing but I just wanted to be sure.
The new pistons are within spec of the factory ones so it should balance out fine. I hope!

-
Back