360 Head Options

-

EXcappa

Reaction score
Hi All,

First time post here.

I have been searching for aftermarket head options for the 360.
I see there are Edelbrock, Indy, Brodix and Airwolf to name a few.
What are your thoughts on these options?
I'll be going a 408 stroker and want to make around 600hp.

Thanks in advance.

Get some eddy heads, have mike at mrl prep them and do mild port work , get the right spring for the cam ur gonna run and ur good to go.but heads are gonna cost u around 22 to 2500 bucks done and ready

I agree. Any competent builder should be able to get that number out of a set of reworked Edelbrock heads. I'm using a lightly worked pair on my build, but I'm only shooting for 500/500. Good luck and welcome to FABO! We like to see pictures.

What little I know, or think I know...........

A very loose approximation of hp potential is air flow times 2, then look at what kind of valve lift on the flow bench did they use to achieve the data point.

600 HP is about the top of Edelbrocks, and that is pretty much a max port job; at least according to Hughes Engines whom I bought mine from in 08, $2830.00(with a $400.00 discount, they were on sale) to my door.

They, Hughes, now offer a revised Eddy head that uses a W2 style relocation of the intake push rod to remove the pinch, good for around 650-675hp I think. I be leave Indy's and Brodix are built this way also, W2 style rocker, can't say I know much of anything about Airwolf's. If I had a choice, I would go with Brodix, I be leave they have more down the road potential.

A thought comes to mind, and that would be a set of 59 degree W-9's; they can be ported to support 800hp.

Good luck!!

PHR did a build with the Airwolf heads, and pulled 523 out of a .040" over 360 with a decent little solid flat tappet cam and a single plane intake...I'm down with recommending MRL too-he's worked some good numbers out of either the Edelbrock or Pro Comp heads.

Jim Laroy (IQ52 on the forum) and his son are professional engine builders. His son Cody is perhaps one of the best head porters in the country, hands down. If you're lookin for power talk to Jim.

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming.
I thought the eddies would have to be heavily ported to make around 600hp.

After a bit more searching I have found the Airwolf heads are a Pocomp casting, the quality of Procomp gear in OZ is very lame. Are the Procomp heads any good in the US?

What about the W5 heads?

This is what I have just bought.
Looks good but does not have the power to match.
http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars...557-53669&WT.z_csource=Criteo&WT.seg_4=Criteo

After a bit more searching I have found the Airwolf heads are a Pocomp casting, the quality of Procomp gear in OZ is very lame. Are the Procomp heads any good in the US?

What about the W5 heads?

This is what I have just bought.
Looks good but does not have the power to match.
http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars...557-53669&WT.z_csource=Criteo&WT.seg_4=Criteo

View attachment cp4705953988049863751.jpg

Can't really help on the heads, but WOW, what a beautiful car you have. When you get a chance post some better pics of it please.

Oh, and by the way your steering wheel is on the wrong side. :D

Why couldn't we have cool cars like that in the states? As far as heads go I would use Eddies. I have a set of eddies going on my small block but I am only going for 400 hp.

I have no experience with pro comp heads on chryslers but I have seen a lot of problems from them on Chevy motors. Also I think I remember reading that the Brodix heads are for oval racing but there is a member here with them on a early a and he is happy. I love Brodix stuff and it's a shame they don't have more mopar junk.

That is frikkin awesome!

Edelbrocks do require a good amount of porting, but like Rusty said, the LaRoys are very well known engine builders and could probably help you out if that's your quest.

W5s are capable heads, but of course require special pieces to make them work. (rockers, intake, exhaust). Then again, if you want 600, that really means you're hunting for 700, at which point in time, you may want better heads than Edelbrocks anyway ;)

Regardless, if you want 600, you'll be dropping some serious coin on top end parts...so don't skimp unless you want to be disappointed.

Is this a all motor build or are you doing forced induction or nitrous? I'm really interested in a 600 hp small block build. Make a build thread!!

I don't have personal experience with W-5's, from what I have read about them, their quality is VERY spotty, casting porosity problems, loose guides, etc,etc. They would make the number you're looking for, but finding a set that's any good would take alot of work, and $$$$.

Brings us back to Brodix, 59 degree W-9's, maybe a set of large port Commando's (some where between a W2 and a W5, better casting), Edelbrock is coming out with a Victor series small block head, W-2 lay out, should hit the shelves in a month or so (so they say).

The Laroy's ,or MRL will deliver top notch heads. I would contact each one(email /telephone) ,tell each witch you actually expect. Let each present all the options ,let them educate you. Both are excellent.

I have heads from both MRL and Laroy .
What I can say is two people one the top local machine shop and the other a 25 yr race veteran both said laroy's work was the best they have ever seen !!
Imm also does great work .
I don't think anyone of them will steer you wrong !
Best of luck !!!

What about the W5 heads?
I believe Bryce Mulvey from Dr J's - who produce/market the Air Wolf heads - has a pretty good rep in the States. I do know he asked Edelbrock to recast their heads with lower floors so he could produce the Air Wolf version and they weren't receptive - which is why he went to Pro Comp and asked them to do it.

As for quality, I doubt the Air Wolfs could be any worse than some of the Eddies that have been cast in Mexico. In fact, I'd hazard a guess that quality control would be better for the Air Wolfs by virtue of lower production numbers and inspection.

That said, I have fully ported Eddies and would run Air Wolf heads if I was going to build another stroker, as they have more porting potential and better flow figures out of the box. The reason I like Eddies/Air Wolfs is because everything bolts up to them: LA headers, manifolds and rockers. The Eddies have good, light valves and the springs have a 1.80" installed height, which allows you to use any LS-style beehive spring (which is what I'm running) or any other LS-style double spring (which you'll probably need if you're aiming for 600hp).

Making a "true" 600hp would likely be easier from a set of Air Wolfs than a set of Eddies.

Late-model W5s were better castings than the early ones, and can be identified by the blue core plugs on the ends (earlier castings have bare metal core plugs). They need W2 style rockers and dedicated intake and exhaust manifolds, which is extra expense. A good set of late-model W5s won't be that cheap, either, as they are usually in demand.

The Edelbrock small-block Mopar Victors have been promised for a long time, but have yet to be produced.

Nice VK, by the way - hope you got it for a good price.

Check out Brodix web site.The heads are great flowing right out of the box.They also offer sets with port work done.I have a set of B1 BA on my street car-work great.

Why couldn't we have cool cars like that in the states? As far as heads go I would use Eddies. I have a set of eddies going on my small block but I am only going for 400 hp.

I have no experience with pro comp heads on chryslers but I have seen a lot of problems from them on Chevy motors. Also I think I remember reading that the Brodix heads are for oval racing but there is a member here with them on a early a and he is happy. I love Brodix stuff and it's a shame they don't have more mopar junk.

Most Aussies love the American cars, I reckon we copied a lot of the styling form your cars back in the days.

That is frikkin awesome!

Edelbrocks do require a good amount of porting, but like Rusty said, the LaRoys are very well known engine builders and could probably help you out if that's your quest.

W5s are capable heads, but of course require special pieces to make them work. (rockers, intake, exhaust). Then again, if you want 600, that really means you're hunting for 700, at which point in time, you may want better heads than Edelbrocks anyway ;)

Regardless, if you want 600, you'll be dropping some serious coin on top end parts...so don't skimp unless you want to be disappointed.

Thanks for the comment.

That is always going to be a problem - chasing a power figure only to find in 6 months time you want more.

Is this a all motor build or are you doing forced induction or nitrous? I'm really interested in a 600 hp small block build. Make a build thread!!

The build will be a little while off yet.

No nitrous, I would love to turbo this thing but the laws have recently changed in this crazy country where there is an engine size to weight ratio.
For example: If this vehicle weighs 1.4ton (3080 pounds I think) Times the weight X3
1.4 x 3 = 4.2 The largest aspirated motor I can install is 4.2 litres. Not happy.

I believe Bryce Mulvey from Dr J's - who produce/market the Air Wolf heads - has a pretty good rep in the States. I do know he asked Edelbrock to recast their heads with lower floors so he could produce the Air Wolf version and they weren't receptive - which is why he went to Pro Comp and asked them to do it.

As for quality, I doubt the Air Wolfs could be any worse than some of the Eddies that have been cast in Mexico. In fact, I'd hazard a guess that quality control would be better for the Air Wolfs by virtue of lower production numbers and inspection.

That said, I have fully ported Eddies and would run Air Wolf heads if I was going to build another stroker, as they have more porting potential and better flow figures out of the box. The reason I like Eddies/Air Wolfs is because everything bolts up to them: LA headers, manifolds and rockers. The Eddies have good, light valves and the springs have a 1.80" installed height, which allows you to use any LS-style beehive spring (which is what I'm running) or any other LS-style double spring (which you'll probably need if you're aiming for 600hp).

Making a "true" 600hp would likely be easier from a set of Air Wolfs than a set of Eddies.

Late-model W5s were better castings than the early ones, and can be identified by the blue core plugs on the ends (earlier castings have bare metal core plugs). They need W2 style rockers and dedicated intake and exhaust manifolds, which is extra expense. A good set of late-model W5s won't be that cheap, either, as they are usually in demand.

The Edelbrock small-block Mopar Victors have been promised for a long time, but have yet to be produced.

I have just emailed Dr J with a few questions regarding the heads.
I am leaning towards the Airwolf or Edddies.

Who ported your heads?

The seller did not budge much on the price, I was originally after a HK - HG Monaro but finding a tidy example for the right price is a bit hard. Always loved the Chargers though.

There is a good article in the March 2013 MOPAR MUSCLE mag about various heads.
Brodix/koffel
Dr. J's Airwolf
Edelbrock
Indy T/A
Indy 360-1 , 360-2
Mopar
I used the Indy T/A's. Decent flow numbers. Had to open up the intake pushrod holes a little .

Cast in Mexico? All Edelbrock heads, sold in the States, are cast in Southern California. Are you saying that Edelbrock has a foundry in Mexico to foist second quality heads off on the residents of Australia? Got proof of castings from Mexico? Or are you passing off something you heard? From?

600hp can be done with well ported Eddys. If you want more HP potential I would go with Indy 360-1's...just don't buy direct from Indy, their product it great, their customer service is not.

-
Back