360 head porting for big power (500HP ?)

-
Pushrod pinch is always a bug-bear with factory iron heads!
It can be fixed with ali-heads and clever reworking of the port entrance.

Then finding a set off decent offset rockers is the next problem.
But as we all now know its worth up to 100HP...:thumbsup:

Pushrod pinch.jpg

From this angle we can plainly see how much port is blocked off...:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

I got valves with the heads but nothing else. So I need to figure out which springs/retainers to go with. Gonna be going on a .030 over 360 with stock stroke. 10.16:1 compression and a Mopar .528 solid cam and 273 adjustable rockers. Not really using them to this full potential, but this 360 should rip.

IMG_7768.jpeg

I got valves with the heads but nothing else. So I need to figure out which springs/retainers to go with. Gonna be going on a .030 over 360 with stock stroke. 10.16:1 compression and a Mopar .528 solid cam and 273 adjustable rockers. Not really using them to this full potential, but this 360 should rip.

View attachment 1716271008
Did you decide which spring/retainer you are going to use? I've found a killer setup that I decided to try out this spring and so far it has been working awesome. Also picked up 3 MPH in 1/4 124- 127(so far with only 2 track passes) while swapping from a nice solid to HYD with similar specs(Normally not a swap that gains) Great price since it's for LS from the most well known LS guys BTR who probably sell the most valve spring packages these days. Saved 2.3 pounds off the springs(59.5 % less weight per) and allows way more retainer to rocker clearance. Not to mention helped allow my HYD cam SBD rev to 7400(Rev limiter set) cleanly. I'll be making a post during the winter on my findings. Here is a pick of the difference.

IMG_20240606_175445369_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240606_175427248_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Did you decide which spring/retainer you are going to use? I've found a killer setup that I decided to try out this spring and so far it has been working awesome. Also picked up 3 MPH in 1/4 124- 127(so far with only 2 track passes) while swapping from a nice solid to HYD with similar specs(Normally not a swap that gains) Great price since it's for LS from the most well known LS guys BTR who probably sell the most valve spring packages these days. Saved 2.3 pounds off the springs(59.5 % less weight per) and allows way more retainer to rocker clearance. Not to mention helped allow my HYD cam SBD rev to 7400(Rev limiter set) cleanly. I'll be making a post during the winter on my findings. Here is a pick of the difference.

View attachment 1716300529

View attachment 1716300530
Inquiring minds want to know...what is the part number and spring spec?

So sad we have to use Chevrolet parts in the 21st century.

Is the LS crowd the only performance parts that are available and cheap?

Maybe we should all run LS motors and then all the Hybrid engines would cease.

So sad we have to use Chevrolet parts in the 21st century.

Is the LS crowd the only performance parts that are available and cheap?

Maybe we should all run LS motors and then all the Hybrid engines would cease.

You do realize that most LS engines run in the 6.60 area with ported heads. Now when you put a turbo on them they run like a raped ape. But so does the small block Mopar engine.

Wow, I was happy to run mid tens with a 440ci iron headed Mopar!

Looks like the LS has put our 50 year old Mopar iron engines 'in the shade'...
Its a bit confusing to us Brits as we only run the 1/4 mile, when I see sixes I think 1/8th.

Everybody is talking LS and I have blocked it out till now.
LS engined cars are trouncing everyone and everything...

LS7 440ci sounds perfect to me.

Last edited:
Wow, I was happy to run mid tens with a 440ci iron headed Mopar!

Looks like the LS has put our 50 year old Mopar iron engines 'in the shade'...
Its a bit confusing to us Brits as we only run the 1/4 mile, when I see sixes I think 1/8th.

Everybody is talking LS and I have blocked it out till now.
LS engined cars are trouncing everyone and everything...

LS7 440ci sounds perfect to me.

I would suggest you download a readily available 1/8 mile to 1/4 mile time conversion chart. Because a lot of us are forced to run 1/8 mile now.

IMG_4419.jpeg

People use LS cause there cheap and come with heads capable of 500 hp ootb and can handle a ton of power, be like if every junkyard sbm came with trick flows. You subtract the money thing then any engine with decent aftermarket support is pretty much capable as one another until you get to high end crazy engines.

**** I’d use pink Pontiac pushrods if they work. GM has consistently and frequently upgraded their small blocks over the last 50 years.

Mopar has changed hands with less and less focus on development and performance. If you want even an inkling of modernization in your mopar, you are buying aftermarket parts.

Its a changing world for drag racing, we only have one premier UK track now!
But its still a 1/4 mile and can produce very fast times.
Never done an 1/8 mile and if that is all that's available, I wouldn't bother myself.

I have always raced Big blocks but not a hemi.
My age is against me and my bones are weary so prepping a B/B engine is hard.
So my plan is to go small block and better my 'mid ten' 1/4 mile time of 1066 (battle of Hastings).

Yes I will still use factory iron heads and probably Chevrolet internals, but 'needs must' DOH.
My 'avatar' Dart was a 1971 lowdeck 400 block @ 547 cubes with B1 heads and ran 8.50 on pump gas.
But that engine was sold before I ran the car with a 452ci all iron 440 engine.

I guess the 452ci engine made approx 550 hp and ran on C12 no power adders.
To get that from a 6 litre 360 S/B will be tricky so some NOS may be needed?
May even go up to 402 or 408 cubes to get a bit more grunt.

Won't be running Promod tyres either, just 10.50 slicks to run a '10.50 run'...:steering:

1419697010871.jpg

Last edited:
10’s are easy with a 360 and easier yet with a 408. Now it gets a little trickier with stock heads. Are you forced to run a stock casting

Nope, neither would I, I think Santa Pod (UK) might struggle with attendance numbers if it became 1/8 mile :eek:

Then you guys aren’t racers like we are in the states. If I had to run an 11 second engine I would probably quit. But have an engine that will run low 9’s is a blast whether it’s 1/8 mile or 1/4 mile. The rush is still there.

We all want to run nines, and my old Dart has run eights!
Racing is a different ballgame as now we have a Superstock handicap.

Forget Supergas 9.99 and faster its all about having fun.
Racing on a budget with your street driven Mopar.

But if you go out in the first round, its a long wait till you get to go again.
RWYB is less stressful.

So you are right we ain't hardcore racers. :mob:

Factory iron for me so its a ten all day long...
NOS will make a nine maybe?

10’s are easy with a 360 and easier yet with a 408. Now it gets a little trickier with stock heads. Are you forced to run a stock casting
John, we went high tens back in the 80's with really cheap engines. 360 with the standard bore 73" 340 piston, strip Dominator Intake, the 590-312 purple camshaft, we balanced the pistons with a paint scale, home ported J heads, Manley stainless valves, homemade deep pan and a moroso pickup . With a thermoquad carb. High 10's in a all steel and full glass 1971 duster. Do you remember Banana Converters out of Canton, OH? Those were the days...

Nice reply TVT59!

We were always told back in the day you had to have a 440 to run a ten.
Never saw any Euro Mopars running 10's with a smallblock.
Most of the 340 diehards ran mid 11's and that seemed the 'LIMIT' for them.

So we all bought ex Jensen Interceptor 440's as they was common and ran high tens.
Some were 'HC engines' with the sixpack spec so 10 to 1 flat tops with the double small cutouts.
We used the biggest MP cams and ran just into the 10's but mostly 11's.

Why is it different now?
I see stroker 408 guys running tens but no non stroker S/B's.
The 340 is so rare there were only a few ever running hard.
Now a 360 seems just as rare, so the 318 has come back from the dead...:poke::wtf::rofl:

Just to really muddy the waters, my love is the 'Poly 318'.
No A-bods came with this option, so its a strange concept.

But we have built maybe the only 402ci Poly in the UK and its HOT!
I see better flow through the heads than any 340/360 iron heads.

I guess our 'new' Duster will be 360 stroker, but my 402 Poly Coronet will be more fun on the street?

402ci Poly heads.jpg

Back to the humble 'J' heads.
Anyone called John like me will love a 'J' head.
A company called Weslake engineering did some 'back in the day' (1970).
I guess they were tied up with the hemi ban in Nascar and like Keith Black etc, were doing S/B work.
Nothing like the KB and Mullen infamous 305 Nascar engine of 1971.

340 J centre waterways.jpg

340 J ported.jpg

Weslake J-head cutwaway.jpg

John, we went high tens back in the 80's with really cheap engines. 360 with the standard bore 73" 340 piston, strip Dominator Intake, the 590-312 purple camshaft, we balanced the pistons with a paint scale, home ported J heads, Manley stainless valves, homemade deep pan and a moroso pickup . With a thermoquad carb. High 10's in a all steel and full glass 1971 duster. Do you remember Banana Converters out of Canton, OH? Those were the days...

Ohhh ya banana converters rolled off everyone’s tongue but I never ran one. I was lucky to have a friend that constantly bought new stuff to try to go faster then sold it to me. My small block runner left when I quit street racing in the late 1970’s running a best of 11.82 with junk parts. In 1975-76 a 1969 dart fell into my hands for 1600.00 that was set up for a big block. So I had two cars for awhile. It ended up running 10.20’s with a mini express.695 mushroom tappet cam. So I never ran small blocks again till 2011 after wrecking my 1991 Daytona (2010) and jumping in the small block duster I bought a couple years earlier for my son to race.

Nice memories from Pittsburgh!

My favourite team in the 80's when I was a football fan (USA).
I guess Pittsburgh weather is the same as Northern England.
Cold, wet and good air for drag racing at sea level...:thumbsup:

download.png

Nice memories from Pittsburgh!

My favourite team in the 80's when I was a football fan (USA).
I guess Pittsburgh weather is the same as Northern England.
Cold, wet and good air for drag racing at sea level...:thumbsup:

View attachment 1716302235

Ohhhh ya the East coast test n tuners are getting ready to make a pass or two. Lol

-
Back