360 Head replacement

-

rp23g7

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have some head replacement questions.
I posted a few weeks ago about the header studs on my 84 Ram Charger 360 being all messed up.

I got a set of heads from a 74 360, took them to the machine shop and had them gone through, spring replaced, new seats, they had to weld one up etc.

I havent rebuilt or done a head job for 10 yrs or so, i have a couple of questions.

Whats the best sealer these days for the head gasket?

I dont remember if there is any special set up for the rocker assy.

I have looked at a few different sites and they all have different torque specs for the head bolts, what is the correct range?

Is there anything special i need to be aware of?

No sealer on the head gasket, it should go on dry.

For the torque spec on the head bolts...If they are bolts (not studs) 95 ft/lbs for small blocks.

No sealer on the head gasket, it should go on dry.

For the torque spec on the head bolts...If they are bolts (not studs) 95 ft/lbs for small blocks.

YUP

And as far as the rockers, I guess you are using stock non-adjustable ones? If so, check that the lifters are "in the middle" of their stroke, and especially if there is any possibility that either the deck or heads have been milled.

I personally don't use the end seals on the intake, just a big bead of silicone

Is there anything special i need to be aware of?

Not sure if it matters in your case, but your '74 360 heads don't have smog ports. If you're still using all the smog equipment on your '86 360, you may have some issues...

Whats the best sealer these days for the head gasket?

Actually a sealer is needed for steel shim or copper head gaskets, but those aren't the best choices for your application anyway.

Mr. Gasket has a variety of laminated/layered head gaskets that would work well.

YUP

And as far as the rockers, I guess you are using stock non-adjustable ones? If so, check that the lifters are "in the middle" of their stroke, and especially if there is any possibility that either the deck or heads have been milled.

I personally don't use the end seals on the intake, just a big bead of silicone

No smog stuff on the engine anymore, i am using the Mopar Performance head gasket, lifters in the middle of the stroke?

-
Back