360 heads

-

dartnabout

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a set of 1977 360 heads part number 3769974 Can anyone tell me if they would work on a 1997 Dodge Ram 5.9? I bought a truck with a cracked head.

They will actually bolt right on. Lots of people have done it. You have to drill the block deck surface down to the camshaft bore as that's where LA series engines get their rocker train oiling. So, the correct answer is, it WILL work, but it is somewhat unconventional. Most people simply use Magnum heads.

Good head but your piston will be down from the deck and with those big combustion chambers your compression will be nonexistent.

Thanks for the information. I know very little when it comes to these things. I appreciate your help. I looked on Ebay too and I wonder the quality of Odessa heads. They are remanufactured and a good bit less money. They do have a warranty. I wasn't planning on doing this because I bought the truck thinking things were good with it and spent my money on buying it. Then after a few hundred miles to find out there is a problem. I have heard of Hughs engines from reading articles on here.

So the heads I have are a good head? I could have them checked and put on a 360 engine for my dart?

Set of Engine Quest heads with stock valves ready to go from hughes 795.00 a pair is hard to beat.Go head and change them both out...

But are the Ebay heads offered a good head? It is quite a bit less money with a 5 year unlimited mileage.

But are the Ebay heads offered a good head? It is quite a bit less money with a 5 year unlimited mileage.
They are bare and Engine Quest and sold each.I think Stroker is leading to their products like:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DODGE-E...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item563344b08d
OR
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-EQ-IRON...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5d3034bc16
Yes they been around but I can not vouch for their machine work?
For stocker they be good !!!

I have a set of 1977 360 heads part number 3769974 Can anyone tell me if they would work on a 1997 Dodge Ram 5.9? I bought a truck with a cracked head.
No Magnum heads will work only on a 97 ram 318 .. 77 heads are aawjs 360 heads for 340..

want to sell those heads if you don't use them , i'm currently trying to replace a cracked one . off my la hp 318 . don't need a large valve just stock works well . so 1.88 int n 1.6 exh is my wanted , and a bare head is fine . thanks pm

want to sell those heads if you don't use them , i'm currently trying to replace a cracked one . off my la hp 318 . don't need a large valve just stock works well . so 1.88 int n 1.6 exh is my wanted , and a bare head is fine . thanks pm
i read you used them on your dart , sorry i bugged you . still looking for one 3769974 casting . thanks and sorry . i should have read thru the entire post . pm :prayer:

Well....I haven't used them yet. I was surprised to see this thread revived.

well thats good , but i've located one on this site , still waiting for the mag'n test . so i may be back in touch . but that casting works well on a stock to hp stock motor , good flow and wind speed in the stock ports and 1.88 / 1.6 valves . used them on my 318 with the 360 police cam and 340 exhaust , intake n avs carter carb . got 21mpg on the road and power to go also . so if you use them please let me know . those are good street heads . thanks for your responce . pm

still looking , just got a couple of members that i'm inquiring with presently , of course one have the other . but if they don't panout . i'll be back to bug you again , if you use them in the mean time . please let me know . thanks pm

pomonamissel, did you ever just post up a want ad? It seems like you're going to a great deal of trouble dredging up old threads to find a 974 casting...

no , 5.9 is the newer bread engine and its a roller cam which oils the upper end thru the pushrods to the rockers . amc , ford design and chevy as well . you need magnum heads to fit . pm

-
Back