360 J head Valves

-

Joseph24251_200

The Mopar Kid
Reaction score
I have a set of 360 J heads and there at the machine shop now. The machinist was explain to me today that the valves are sunk and the seats also need to be cut, both exhaust and intake. He wants to put in a bigger exhaust and intake valve but I can not find a larger valve for the exhaust side. Does anyone know of a exhaust and intake combo that will fit in these heads. What should I do?

Why not put harden seats in on the exhaust side? The factory just heat treated them but harden seats are better and that should take care of the exhaust. 1.6 is big for a small block not sure if I would go any larger. The intakes get 2.02's that if they are 1.88 right now

The machine shop was shootin me something about there may not be enough room to get the seat in. To me it looks as if some one had cut the seat before and now theres not much room before the exhaust and intake become one. Is there any other path i can takes beside seats.

What size valves do you have now and what size are you loooking for? The largest that will fit are 2.02 intake and 1.60 exhaust. If the seats are sunk there's no other option other than replacing them. If your valves that you have now are the smaller 1.88/1.50 sizes and he replaces them with larger 2.02/1.60 sizes make sure he uses a cutter to remove the excess shrouding from underneath the seat or you really won't gain any flow to speak of.

BTW: When you get those 2.02/1.60 valves in there they nearly touch. Not much room between them. Nothing to worry about though. Some factory heads had them.

If your looking to buy valves Mancini racing has pretty good prices on them when you buy a full set. www.manciniracing.com

DONT WASTE YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY GETTING SEATS PUT IN. If not done properly they like to fall out, and u can guess how much fun that can be.Find another set of heads, there is lots out there........I have a set of ported 587s with 2.02+1.60 valves Ill sell u if they fit your application,or I could just sell u a set to get rebuilt...........kim

There is a 1.92in and a 1.625ex available from Ferrea. You could give this a try.
1.92 intake part #F6248
1.625 exhauts part #F6245

340mopar said:
There is a 1.92in and a 1.625ex available from Ferrea. You could give this a try.
1.92 intake part #F6248
1.625 exhauts part #F6245

Sounds like magnum valves with 8mm valve stems.

mikesduster said:
i used 2.05/1.625 valves in my X-heads with no problems...so why cant you?? :thumbup:
That's exactly what's in my X's.

I was just trying to find him the next size up from what he had just in case it was basically a stocker. But if he is going to build a motor that will see some track time a 2.02/1.625 setup would be the way to go since the valve prices will be about the same.

That is what I had in my X head on the drivers side and the J head on the passenger side of my duster. Yes you read that right. They ran great too!

I put in 2.080/1.600 valves in my "J"'s ran for years , no problems. I believe the 2.055 chevy size would be better though. But there IS room if needed. Good luck, Terry.

If your exhausts are sunk, the only good fix is insert seats. If your machinist cann't or won't guarantee the work (says there isn't room, or says the insert might fall out) take your money and work elsewhere! 2.02/1.60 valves and hardenes seats should fit fine. Also, as for seats coming loose, that is a sure sign of substandard machinework. Think about it, ALL aluminum heads have insert valve seats on the exhausts, and most on the intake. There are millions of cars running around with aluminum heads (and in fact most new cars have warranty periods which are longer than the typical service life of a car built when our Mopars were new. Hardened valve seats and unleaded fuel are a major player in this.)

Most J-heads did not have the induction hardened seats, so 40 years and umpteen thousand miles later your factory seats are probably pretty pounded out. Seat wear is mostly a function of guide wear and high mileage, and not unleaded fuel use, but thats another story. Sure, a larger intake valve will be a suitable fix for the intake. Now, run the numbers for a minute 8 new intake valves, 8 new exhaust valves, 16 guides, 16 valve springs, 16 retainers, 32 split locks, labor to install all of the above including a good 3 angle valve job to include a deep 70-80 degree cut on the intakes (to match the port to the larger valve), hot tank, bead blast, mangnaflux and a surface cut, and you're well past $500 easily. Even if you plan to do it yourself get a quote for labor to gasket match and bowl blend. Just for fun price out new aluminum heads. Something to think about.

C130, the last set of heads I did that needed to be completely done were $1200. I used cheaper stainless performance valves, Comp Cams and Crane products. They were big block, but same same. If your machinist is worried about exh seat inserts touching the intake valve, you can walk away now. I'd have a better qualified shop do your work.

Ditto to what the chief and moper said. I would add that I put in hardened seat on the exhaust side of my heads. No problems. Hardened seats will work just fine in 'J' castings. ANY shop that has a problem with them...take the heads and run away as fast as you can. Terry.

Thanks to everyone who replied on this tread. I decided to take my heads and run like hell to the machine shop next door. Long run holdin 2 heads, set of valves, and valve springs. LOL. They took one look and said "Yeah they'll fit when do u need them back". After they took a closer look they called me back about 30 mins later to tell me that i'll need seats on the exhaust side, and i may need to go with adjustable rocker arms. Besides that there are not problems and they will be done Thursday.

-
Back