360 LA high flow water pump....

-

Plato2k5

Reaction score
Do they really improve cooling like they say?...30%

My jeep like to idle hot, but as soon as I start to drive 10mph it will start to cool down. Running down the road I don't need my electric fan and it stays around 190ish.

Since this is in my jeep I do spend time going very very slow while off-roading.

I have looked at summit and found these two options:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

are they worth the money? Any other better upgrades for around the same price??

Im sure the flow better then a parts store rebuild but what year is the jeep ?

Most serpentine belt systems spin backwards and need a special pump.

sorry.....

Its a 78' magnum head... LA small block.

Its in my 88' wrangler. Still V-belt.

The MP part is a good flowing unit. It is also under the A?C part number pump. Then theres the upgraded blade unit with more blades. I think it goes from 6 to 8 blades.

I have had very good luck with them though I don't go rock crawling.

would it be better to go with 6 blakes vs. 8? I thought the 8 was more for aluminm heads, and circle track racing???

FYI
I have a friend with big block Dart that had overheating problems, his fix was a 8 blade hi-perf Carter pump which he overdrove then put the flex fan as close to the radiador as reasonable, never could get an electric fan that worked well. Now he says on a 110* day he can idle all day and not exceed 180*!

well seems like it will stabilize at 214* at idle. While driving its 195* with a 180 stat.

The electric fan pumps out 3,000cfm and is 15". Mechanical fans are nice but when your going through mud and water things can get ugly VERY quickly....were talking about blades through the hood, through the radiator, etc...

I would just like to make sure that putting a high flow pump on won't hurt my cooling making it worse.... you know having the coolant flow faster allow it not to spend enough time going through the radiator to expel its heat.

That is what the thermo stat is for, regulating water flow through temp.

I'm aware that the t-stat controls the flow of coolant.

I thought I would post to see if anyone has had any good experience with a higher flow pump. I'd hate to spend $80 and find that it hurts my cooling, or if at all helps it.

I'm aware that the t-stat controls the flow of coolant.

I thought I would post to see if anyone has had any good experience with a higher flow pump. I'd hate to spend $80 and find that it hurts my cooling, or if at all helps it.

(Confused~)

If your aware that the T-stat controls the flow of coolent, then why would there be a problem of keeping the engine to cool or rushing coolent to fast to cool the engine.

It doesn't make sense. You made this statement;

I would just like to make sure that putting a high flow pump on won't hurt my cooling making it worse.... you know having the coolant flow faster allow it not to spend enough time going through the radiator to expel its heat.

I'm sorry, but this statement said to me you didn't understand the system and/or how a T-stat works or why it is there.

Sorry if I insulted you.

Sounds to me like that electric fan is not moving enough air through the radiator when the vehicle is stopped. As soon as its moving enough air passes through to cool it back down.

I hate problems like this :(

I do understand how the t-stat works. I am just trying to figure out if the coolant isn't be pushed out of the engine fast enough.

I think I'll order it Monday and see how it does?

-
Back