360 LA rear main seal needed....help

-

Plato2k5

Reaction score
What can you guys recommended for me as a great rear main seal? I have a standard felpro one installed now and hess around 1500 miles on it and it leaks :(

The engine is a mild build... flat top hyp. pistons, 10:1 compression, mild cam. This is for a 78' block.

The seal I did use was not a rope seal.... and I think it has leaked since day one. I read if there is knurling on the crank, to use a rope seal??? I want a good seal! Don't mind spending money on it , if its worth it.

Thanks!

I'm also running a high volume melling oil pump. I just read that they sit taller and could cause the pan not to sit correctly????

I have built a lot of small block Mopar's, all with the same fel-pro seal. Never had any problems with it, maybe it wasn't put in right. The oil pump mounting will not have anything to do with it. Are you sure it's the oil seal or the pan gasket? The oil seal is between the block and the rear main cap, so check your pan gasket first

Well I can see the oil drip from the inspection cover (auto tf727 trans). This is why i'm thinking its the main seal... but I did use a 4 pc pan gasket so its possible the ears shifted causing it to leak???

I'd hate to change the rear main but if i'm already going to have the pan off....wouldn't it be worth it? I don't wan't to replace the pan gasket to have it leak still.....

this the one: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=FEL-BS40094&autoview=sku ???

also whats a good oil pan gasket to use? I hate those rubber cork ones.

ya know it's really hard to say, I guess your just gonna have to drop the pan and check/replace both. Liked I said, the regular off the shelf fel-pro stuff is pretty good, on the pan you may want to use a little black silicone to help with the leaks

I too have used numerous Fel-pro rear main seals over the yrs. and never had any problems. Did you seal the back side of it with silicone or an anaerobic type sealer? They recommend an anaerobic sealer but I've used both and had no problems with either. How about a super thin dab of sealer between the ends? I always do and they have never leaked on me. Are you sure you installed it the right way? Lip facing forward.

As far as I've seen there's knurling on all cranks. It's to sling the oil away from the rear main I assume.

About the pan not fitting right with a high volume oil pump. I have had that happen with some pumps but not all. Some have a cover that has chamfered bolt holes and use inset screws so they sit lower. Others have the cover milled down so regular bolts sit lower. The only ones I had problems with were the ones with flat covers and regular bolts. The pump cover doesn't hit the pan but one of the bolt heads does. You'll know it cause it'll poke a hole right in your pan when you tighten the bolts down. Ask me how I know.:angry7:

For me it was my rear pan seal. When I pulled my motor for the engine bay detail, I used "the right stuff" between the seal and the back of the block and between the seal and pan. no leaks now. I thought it was the rear main as well.

-
Back