360 magnum cam bearings with edelbrock heads

-

supersonictoys

Reaction score
Was told that because my edelbrock heads have chevrolet stud mounted rockers and will now oil through the push rods I will have to run different cam bearings that either block off or allow oil to pass? Any truth to this ?

Most people just drill and tap the two oil passages at the top of the block. Stock cam bearings can also be rotated so the holes don't line up. 6 of one or half a dozen of another, both methods will work fine.

Magnum RPMs? They will block the passages in the block deck anyway. So you dont have to run anything different, or plug them. Unless you feel like it...

moper is correct. The passages are blocked at the deck surface by the heads. There is no change to make at the cam bearings as you want oil to go to the lifters in either case. You have to use lifters that send oil up the pushrod though. The AMC style work great.

Jack

No no no. MoPar lifters or lifters that oil through the pushrods.

Lifters for Mopar Hyd. cams are not set up to oil through the pushrod. AMC Hyd. lifters are set up to oil through the pushrod.

On a roller lifters, the stock roller lifter oils through the pushrod.
If you go and get a aftermarket roller lifter that oils through the pushrod, you have to make sure the lifter doesn't come to far out of the bore and expose the oil ring band. This will cause low oil pressure. The roller blocks, "LA" or Magnum style roller blocks, do not have this issue. The Hyd cam engines do because the lifter bores/bosses are shorter in height.

There was a thread on this issue a while back.

So since I have a roller magnum block and am wanting to run a hydraulic roller cam , just buy good aftermarket mopar magnum roller lifters?

So since I have a roller magnum block and am wanting to run a hydraulic roller cam , just buy good aftermarket mopar magnum roller lifters?

Yes;
Factory roller lifters (And spider) will do fine for street cars.
Upgraded units will be OK as well. I don't know if you need a spider with the after market roller lifters.

Ok so allow me to show further ignorance and ask, what's a spider? This by the way is my first mopar build and
It seems the magnum has some special twists that need to be felt with. Lots of " grey areas" and combining parts from LA Series motors.

Yes, you have to be careful when combining "LA" and Magnum parts. Easy to do, easy to mess up.

The "Spider" is a flexable thin steel stamped part that bolts down into the valley of the engine block with 3 bolts. The "Legs" of the spider are kind of chevron shaped and reach over from the main bolted down body to inbetween each paired lifter assembly.

(Chevron = upsidedown letter "V")

The spider legs hold the lifters in place, down and stop them from twisting/spinning around and popping out for any reason.

From what I've been finding, just rub factory Magnum ones. They will be fine and have tighter clearances internally than anything in the performance aftermarket.

nope they wont, called comp cams this morning
also it states in the description "This is a retro-fit lifter for early model blocks equipped with a flat tappet cam. "

Soooo, as I read what they just said as you wrote it,

These lifters are for Hyd. or solid cams, not rollers.

no , I think they are for roller cams , but they are for use in early model LA blocks which have shorter lifter bosses than magnums. the oiling ports wouldn't line up right in a magnum block. at least that's how it was explained to me. these are to retrofit roller lifters into a non roller block

Ok so allow me to show further ignorance and ask, what's a spider? This by the way is my first mopar build and
It seems the magnum has some special twists that need to be felt with. Lots of " grey areas" and combining parts from LA Series motors.

Nothing special about a spider Ford & GM used/use a spider to position the roller lifters in the factory roller motors.

A flat tap cam has a slight front to back taper to the lobe and lifter has a slight crown to the bottom that contacts the cam. This causes the lifter to rotate as it follows the cam lobe profile. If it didn't rotate the cam and/or lifter would gall and you would quickly wipe out the cam.

With a roller cam there is no taper to the lobe and the lifter can not be allowed to rotate or all kinds of bad things will happen if an edge of the roller dug into the lobe. The spider bolts into the valley of the block and either directly locates the lifter or presses on a dog bone link that locates pairs of lifters. Since the lifter still has to go up and down the spider is made of spring steel and allows the vertical motion.

Aftermarket roller lifters to go into engines that did not have roller lifters from the factory are tied together in pairs with a link that keeps them from rotating since there is no provisions in the block for a spider.

Looks like these mopar roller lifters would work, no?

Now to just find a roller cam that mimics the mopar purple cams...

Yep, those will work. You will need the dogbones and spider to hold everything in place though.

Because the roller rides over the cam lobe differently you can get a cam with a steeper ramp and longer open time allowing more cylinder fill. So any cam designed for a flat tappet cam is hard to compare in terms of ovrlap, etc. Hughes Engines and Comp Cams both have some agressive roller cams. Depends on whether or not you need the snout for a fuel mechanical fuel pump. But again I think the add-on piece is still available thru several vendors.

Larry

...Because the roller rides over the cam lobe differently you can get a cam with a steeper ramp and longer open time allowing more cylinder fill. So any cam designed for a flat tappet cam is hard to compare in terms of ovrlap, etc. Hughes Engines and Comp Cams both have some agressive roller cams. Depends on whether or not you need the snout for a fuel mechanical fuel pump.

Gotcha Larry

What if I want to go with a Flat Tappet vs. Roller cam in a magnum block, could standard height AMC style lifters work? I know there are oiling issues to consider and possibly custom pushrods, but it seems there are MORE non-roller cam choices... just wondering. And no, I personally don't need the fuel pump eccentric.

I prefer to go full roller myself, but I don't want something too aggressive

As I understand it: For a hydraulic roller in a Magnum block, use Magnum lifters. For a hydraulic roller in an LA roller cam block (later model) but running Magnum style heads you need the spider, dog bones, and the same Magnum lifters. For flat tappet in Magnum you need AMC lifters and Magnum style heads.

As I understand it: For a hydraulic roller in a Magnum block, use Magnum lifters. For a hydraulic roller in an LA roller cam block (later model) but running Magnum style heads you need the spider, dog bones, and the same Magnum lifters. For flat tappet in Magnum you need AMC lifters and Magnum style heads.

I had considered running flat tappet vs. roller, wasn't sure I could do that. I got a mopar purple cam kit (with lifters) along with everything to build a 360 magnum but was wondering if it was the proper cam/lifter setup knowing that the magnum blocks are rollers...

Biggest question would be regarding the oil passages in the lifter gallery, do the oil holes in flat tappet hyd lifters line up with the oil holes in roller lifters? Also would longer push rods be required?

It's my understanding that you can put the flat tappet cam in the roller cam block with no problems. If you have Magnum heads you have to use the AMC lifters & hollow pushrods to lube the top end. This goes for solid or hydraulic lifters. If you want to run the LA heads with the roller style block you need to make sure the block has the oil passages drilled in the deck to provide oil to the valvetrain. LA roller blocks have these passages and it's my understanding that maybe they can be added to later blocks. LA heads with Mopar Magnum type roller lifters use the spider & dogbones as well as custom length shorter pushrods to work with the LA rockers & Roller lifters. I plan to do this with my engine & use pushrods with no oiling holes to keep from pumping extra oil to the top of the motor, although I would think that with a HV oil pump you could use pushrods that oiled to the head without a problem as long as you had an adequate sized sump. Not sure there would be any advantage in doing so.

So I will be able to run the purple cam kit I got with the car after all. Does anyone know if the lifters that come with the kit are oiling lifters (like the AMC style) by some slim chance?

I guess buying a set of lifters is NOT the end of the world... Can anyone recommend a particular lifter from this list? I am inclined to go "middle of the road" but I am not exactly sure what I am doing with the engine yet - street/strip or all out strip

I am open to cam recommendations too as I did not choose the cam kit I got, it came in the deal

-
Back