360 Magnum engine how to tell where is front of piston ?

-

nearpar

Reaction score
Disassembled my 360 Magnum engine and numbered each piston/rod assembly.
These are the stock pistons, I want to reinstall them, I know I need to orient the piston to the front of the engine, but I cannot see a mark on the piston to do so. No notch that I can see on the piston. Anyone know how to make sure I don't get them backwards ?

The connecting rod bearing lock notches point towards the outside of the engine on each side.

The connecting rod bearing lock notches point towards the outside of the engine on each side.
I hate to be a pain, but lock notches ? is that the part that the bearing locks into on the cap ? I was thinking that went towards the camshaft which is toward the center of the engine ?

The tangs go toward the center of the engine ? Oil spurt holes are the tangs ?

0900c15280083481.gif

I hate to be a pain, but lock notches ? is that the part that the bearing locks into on the cap ? I was thinking that went towards the camshaft which is toward the center of the engine ?

No, the bearing lock notches point towards the outside of the engine. I prefer to use the lock notches as a reference, rather than the oil squirt holes, because not all engines have the oil squirt holes. What would you use for a reference then?

RRR is correct (as usual). The notches in the bearing face outwards. The OE bearing will also have an oil groove in the rod and bearing. Most, if not all aftermarket bearings are missing the oiling grooves/holes/notch. So, put the bearings in the rods and then face the rod oil grooves to the inside.

-
Back