360 motor question

-

Alaskan_Dart

Mopars are an addiction
Reaction score
I picked up a 1979 360 motor out of a truck. Its a spare more less, I have a few motors, big and small block. Just wondering though if the 360 is worth building into a stroker later on? I have two 340's a 400 and a 440 also. I found some stroker kits for small blocks, including the 360 but is the year of the motor I have now a good year to build or not?
Thanks Mark

Mark, I have had very good luck with even late model 360 blocks. I have one .30 over with 4" stroke right now. I have been running it in my drag car for 1.5 years with no problems at all. It does have hard block in it though. My last 360 was bored 60 over. It lasted 6 years in a drag car before busting a hypertech piston and completely coming apart. I did crack a cylinder once after using nitrous for six months. I sleeved the one cylinder and ringed it and used it for three years after that. I trust a 360 block but I am sure some are thicker than others, Ray

the 360 blocks were "supposed" to have thicker walls up to 1972. whether this is true or not depends on who you talk to. some say its true. some say otherwise. Either way, your best bet is to get it sonic checked to see what you really have to work with. Cheap insurance and a peace of mind

the 360 blocks were "supposed" to have thicker walls up to 1972. whether this is true or not depends on who you talk to. some say its true. some say otherwise. Either way, your best bet is to get it sonic checked to see what you really have to work with. Cheap insurance and a peace of mind
Actually 1974 but I agree with you, it all depends on who you are talking to whether or not a 19XX 360 is better than another.

I had a 1977 360 .030 that ground an extra .010 into 4 cyclinders after only 200 miles. This was a strong block to hold up to that kind of pressure and heat while that was happening, . 1977-1979 are the same.

btw: it wore those cylinders like that due to the guys that built the shortblock (speedomotive :tard: ) screwed up. I built the next one after they replaced my original block...

You can apply the same stroker components to your 340's and the displacement would be slightly higher. In other word's, the 360 would be similar in performance and is definitely worth keeping.

Thanks for the info. guys. I'm more less wanting to save my 340 and use the 360 for now. The 340 I have is a virgin block and so is the 360. The 340 is worth more as it sits vs. the 360 of course. I have another 340 that is already stroked to a 388. I'll keep posted on what Eng. Shop tells me and what I end up building this winter also.
Mark

GIve them a sonic check to detremin wall thickness. Thicker equals stiffer, stiffer equals better sealing which equals more power, longer life and possible rebuilds.

-
Back