360 Motor Stock Pan HV Pump

-

RichardJ916

Reaction score
I am replacing a deep oil pan that had a hv pump, i noticed that the back of the pan hitting the hv pump when trying to seat the pan, i was wondering if i should replace the hv pump with a standard pump or try and refit the pan.... like hammer out the side a bit..... Please help

The motor had a deep pan and a hv pump, i wanted to replace the pan only. Seeng i dont deep the depth but wanted to keep the hv pump, during the time i was putting back on the standard pan i noticed the hv pump was coming into contact with the back of the pan..... just a small amout... I wanted to ping out a small amout on the pan for the pump to clear the back of pan. Or shoudl i replace the pump with a stock pump, not sure if the stock pump will make a better clearence. I know that the hv pump is a little taller but not sure if that is the fix seeing it hitting the back.... Let me know what you guys would do.

Hammer the pan a bit. That is what I did. IF you do not hammer the pan for clearance, you'll puncture the pan, oil will leak out. A stock pump will clear since it is stock.

You can use the HV pump but you'll need the correct pickup to run with the stock pan (this is the reason it is contacting the pan).

http://www.summitracing.com/search/.../Oil-Pump-Pickups/Engine-Type/V8/?Ns=Rank|Asc
I ordered both the pan and pick up at the same time, it is hitting in the rear of the pan and not from the pick up. it's not much but you can tell it is hitting the pan as you slide in on to the block rails. it seems like you should be able to slide it from front to back as you can slide it from side to side. the pump seems to be the trouble, I guess i will put a few little nings in to the pan to make it fit better.

Hammer the pan a bit. That is what I did. IF you do not hammer the pan for clearance, you'll puncture the pan, oil will leak out. A stock pump will clear since it is stock.

Its not much but that is what i guess i will try.... Cant see how it will puncture the pan but maybe a few dings is all it needs...

the housing on the HV pump is a bit larger due to the larger rotors inside the pump...the housing sometimes hit the pan...just dimple the pan with hammer..

the pickup fits the pan...not the pump...

Its not much but that is what i guess i will try.... Cant see how it will puncture the pan but maybe a few dings is all it needs...

I have had a verity of HV pumps and most have punctured the pan when you tighten it down because there is less clearance...the thing your having trouble with now???????

I have had a verity of HV pumps and most have punctured the pan when you tighten it down because there is less clearance...the thing your having trouble with now???????

I understand now sorry, i guess i will just try and adjust the pan if that is even possiable. if it looks like it wont work then i will order a new standard pump. Thanks

Not all HV pumps are the same. Or were the same. Might be all the same now.

I dinged my pan on my Dart and welded up the cut.

But I also grinded/shaved the edge of the pump cover. This gave more clearnance and took the sharp edge off that cut into the pan. Mine we barely even cut. Didn't really notice until got it out of the car.

BTW don't ever use that SCE Detroit oil piece gasket on a old LA style 360 block and pan. They are really magnum gaskets. Total mess. :violent1:

Attachments

• oilpump.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 254
  • pointoilpanweld.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 235
  • reargasket.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 258
So here I sit still undecided, Do I put a few little dings on brand new standard pan in order for the HV oil pump to fit under the pan or do I simply replace the HV Pump with a standard oil pump.
The motor is a fairly new build, I was just looking for an easy way to get away from the Deep pan. If I was to remove the HV Pump and replace with standard pump will the drive gear shaft work with the standard or will i be looking at another project also.
Here is what I have:

• Mopar 360 c.d.i. + 30 Over
  • 9:1 Keith Black Hypereutectic Pistons
  • Bracket Master II Lunati Cam .484 lift / 230 Duration 292
  • Proform roller tip rocker arms
  • Aerohead prepped heads with 2.02 Intake / 1.60 Exhaust Valves
  • Competition Valve Job
  • Holley 675 Street Avenger Carb
  • MSD 6A Ignition
  • MSD Distributor
  • Edelbrock Performer RPM aluminum Intake
  • Crane double roller timing chain
Will the standard oil pump work with the build.....

Thanks

You can use the same intermediate shaft without issue.

I'd just freakin ding the pan with a hammer real quick and test fit until it fits. Nothing new in this world, modifying parts to work. No one is going to notice.

You can use the same intermediate shaft without issue.

I'd just freakin ding the pan with a hammer real quick and test fit until it fits. Nothing new in this world, modifying parts to work. No one is going to notice.
After thinking all day long I think i am going to do just that....
Thanks for all your help guys...

Umm,what about using 2 pan rail gaskets? Would that create the needed clearance?

Yes it usually does. I usually just let the gasket's cure overnight,then put it all together.

Or I may just order the Standard pump and be done with it....
For 20-30 Bucks I wont have to deal with this head ach...

Cool thanks for the info guys!!! I just came up with the same problem this morning. Will the oil pump drive gear need to be HD also or can i just use the old one, And as far as the gasket go's magnum or good old FEL-PRO will do....THANKS......

Hello Dodge74, I removed the HV Oil pump, kinda dry fitted the oil pan gasket today. I ordered the FEL-PRO # 1807 from Summit. It fits perfect, didnt torque it down but just wanted to see how it would fit.... Looks sweet

-
Back