360 motorhome motor

-

68383GTS

Reaction score
Need your suggestions for a cam,intake,carb for a motorhome 360.Engine would be going into my 71 Duster.Would like to get as much performance without touching the lower end.May add Doug's headers also.Engine has 40,000 original mile on it.

duration in 270°, Rhoades lifters, LD340, Holley 80457 600 vac secondary with electric choke.

They are a torque engine if from a motor home,work pretty good as is,just add a good intake and carb,headers and go....hopefully you got the torque convertor with it should be a greenish blue sticker on it thats say Hi-stall...use it..[if 727 is used]if you wish to crank on it rpm wise[and you will] put a 340 style camshaft and springs to match with some 3.55's and it'll be fun in the duster...remember this is a diesese and one thing leads to another..next thing you know you will be putting ss springs and a pinion snubber on it and porting the heads etc..

I would search the cam companies listing for the recommended largest cam to use with the stock high stall converter and then add the Rhoads lifters, headers I to a 2-1/2 exhaust, dual plane intake, 600 to 650 carb and a upgraded ignition like a MSD. IF you can spend a little extra coin on roller rockers, go for it.

I would not use a Performer intake but the rest should be excellent for the application. Action Plus, RPM or the LD340 would be great. They can be found used for good prices.

The other parts I would purchase new.

You can make a honest 350 HP.

You technically can just bolt a 4bbl/intake on and you'll have plenty of power and torque. The 360 cam factory is a little hotter than the 318 2bbl cam. But, if you would like to add a little more, install a 340 cam (or one similar). Their range is idle-5800. Assuming you have a 2bbl, you'll want a good dual plane intake, like a Action plus or RPM performer. I would put 670 street avenger on top or a 750 eddy. This will be great, but if you want more, there is plenty to be done with the heads too, like bowl hogging (can be done at home yourself with a dremel), mild porting and milling of the likes of .040.
But if you want to stay away from headers, the 340 cam works great and so would the intake and carb. When your done, you'll want to be able to brake-torq the stall to around 2000-2200 rpm's. This combo will have lots of torque, pull strong, and I think you'll be happy.... Good luck

-
Back