360 Oil Pan

-

HawaiiDuster

Reaction score
This may seem like a rant, well it sort of is so here goes. Last year I put up a wanted ad for a 360 truck pan. I made a deal with a member and the box arrives at my house in a timely manner. Well like a lot of us know, life sometimes gets in the way and the projects get back burnered for a bit. Fast forward to a couple weeks ago. I have a chance to work on the truck so I get the engine on the stand to get it ready. The engine was built years ago, but only ran up the road a couple times in the Duster to see how it'd run.

Well I pull the car pan off, pull the truck pan out of the box and immediately notice something wrong. The opening for the rear seal is big, definately not a 360 pan. The sump is also noticably short, measured from the drain plug to front of the sump. This one measured about 6 1/2" and the other measured 8 1/2", so it wouldn't even clear the pick up.

So I send the member I got it from a "Just wanted to let you know....." message stating he sent the wrong pan. He send back a message asking to refresh his memory on what the application was and picks of the "mis match". So I tell him it's for a 360 going into a 76 truck and email him the pic. The next night I message him to see if he got the email with the pic. This was his reply "That's obviously a 360 pan. It would have a wider opening than a 318 pan. By that pic,it appears you have a 318 block." So my reply was "The 360 actually has a smaller rear main than the 318/360. And this is a 360."
I think I've been around mopars enough to know the difference between a 318 and 360.

That was 2 weeks ago and he hasn't replied back since. If he would have done his research and just "manned up" to the mistake, I would have been okay with it. But to make it seem like I don't know what I have or what I'm doing in a belittling tone when you "obviously" don't know what f@ck you're talking about.....well that just kind of irritated me a bit. This member post a lot of parts for sale, so you'd think he'd know better. I'm not posting his name, but if anyone's interest just pm me. I attached pics of the pan he sent so everyone could see what I'm talking about.

Sorry for the lengthy rant, I'm usually very understanding when it comes to mistakes or misunderstandings but his reply and the lack of response got the best of me.

Attachments

• IMAG0644 rs.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 169
  • IMAG0645 rs.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 171
I have a new pan , never installed .Purchased it for a Lil Red Express but never installed it , and no longer have the truck .But long way to ship for sure.

HD, I got a 360 truck pan,free, come and get it.

Thanks for the offers guys! I got a new one, just had to vent. When some "punk" f's up and tries to make like I don't know what I'm talking about, well it just kind of pissed me off.

Thanks for the offers guys! I got a new one, just had to vent. When some "punk" f's up and tries to make like I don't know what I'm talking about, well it just kind of pissed me off.

I'd expect all my $ back and if the seller wants that wrong item returned, it's on his dime.

Nice to know that all my LA 360 blocks are really 318's from the rear pan seal perspective. :)

Guess my pan will go in the scrap bin, Call when you want to head up this way.

I got a truck pan...would have to check to see if it is a 360 or not ....Free if you need it...

-
Back