360 Oil Pump / Pick up Tube / Oil Pan

-

RichardJ916

Reaction score
I would like to know what you guys would do.
I just picked up a rebuild 360 Motor this weekend, so here my question.
The oil pan that was used will be way to low to the ground for me to use on my Duster. it a deep pan I havent yet taken the old pan off yet but would like to get ready to order new one real soon. If I order a new pan i know that I will have to replace the pick up tube, my question is if the pan and pump that was used is for a street driven application should i have to repalce the pump also.....
Meaning that if the pump is a high volume pump will it be ok to run a normal pick up tube and stock pan.....

What yea think.

Thanks

With a HV oil pump I prefer at least a 6 qt sump, but thats because I turn mine over 6000. At lower rpms, you might get away with a 5qt pan/HV pump combo. If you have to change the pan anyway, it's not too much harder to change back the pump to a standard volume.

No expert but I've always run the stock type 5qt pan with a HV pump. I do add a windage tray as it allows me to run an extra quart. Never had any oil related issues with it.

Without knowing the mods if any to the oil system... I'd say check the rod clearances. If they are less than .002" replace the pump witha std pressure. If they are over .002" then I'd replace with an HV. In either case, the std pickup and pan should be fine as long as the dip stick is accurate and the crankcase is kept full.

You could run a 6 quart Kevko pan/pickup and they don't hang any lower then a stock pan and clear the k-member too. And their 6 quart pan is 6 quarts plus the oil filter.

If you plan on any racing (even spirited street driving) at all I'd either go with a Kevco pan (holds more than stock pan, has acceleration baffles, and doesn't hang low) or weld in some acceleration baffles in the stock pan. My old 360 was terrible about uncovering the pickup on take off when I had the stock pan on it. If it's an everyday grocery getter the stock pan works fine. And what Moper said to determine if you need a std. or high volume pump.

-
Back