360 or 318 magnum

-

ktcnn94

Reaction score
im sure all this info is on this forum but im short on time, I ran across a 360 magnum and a 318 magnum from 2 '99 dodge trucks, same guy has them both. both the trucks have trans issues. a few quick questions were they all magnums or do I need to look for something in particular, will I be able to use the manifolds in my car (1971 swinger), obviously the 360 has the bigger displacement but which one should I try to buy, which one has better heads manifolds etc? I know its a lot of questions but I gotta act fast so they don't get gone we don't see a lot of dodge stuff for sale around here. he wants $300 for each, I know somebody will say buy em both and I would love too and may try but can really only afford to get one right now, also I have to pull it myself. thanks for any and all help.

Look for the obvious first. Holes/cracks in the block and heads, rocker hold downs ripped out, a lot of oil coating the engine...you get the idea. You may want to grab the radiator, too because the outlet on the engine will match up to it. It will have greater capacity, but will the radiator support panel will need surgery for it to fit.

The RH exhaust manifold works on the 67 & > A-body. The LH manifold will not work with power steering.

No substitute for pubic inches.

yeah i've got p/s, are there differences in the heads on these things? yeah no substitute for pubes but I want the best heads.

Being the same year everything should be the same beside the obvious, 360 would be the better buy.

go for the 360, both have the same heads ,lower, mileage and cleaner better,putting a 318 together now,you can use power steering,alternator,brackets and keep serpentine setup make sure you get flexplate for tranny, cam,intakes, get expensive,plan on,3-400,for new cam,good luck, lots of info in posts

F60CD89C-99BD-4B88-9591-85B748295100_zpsfiyfpyvh.jpg

EABA2615-7158-4801-B214-BC39D47F3339_zpsz7nzaz9r.jpg

Both are good motors and will do what you want them to do, but as said "no replacement for displacement"
There's 3 ways to tell a 5.2 and 5.9, the first is on the drivers side block (by ex manifold outlet (will look like xxxx-360 for 360 etc).
The other is the pad on the drivers side frt of head (behind ps pump/bracket) there will be a series of stampings and "360" for 360 etc
The last is the harmonic balancer, behind the crank pulley, the 360 balancer has a rectangular notch in it.
Make sure to turn both by hand and make sure they're both not 5.2's or 5.9's, pick the best one (pull the VC's and check the dipstick oil etc)

As far as heads, they interchangeable between the 2, and both are rollers so the main difference is the CI's both should have the "beer keg" FI intakes

Look in the Magnum swap section for specifics on the newer engine swap. The best thing to do is to get everything the other owner will let you have, including trans cable, wiring harness, computer, accelerator cable, etc. You have to determine whether you want to use the original fuel delivery or go to carburetor setup. That will make a big difference!

Wow, thanks guys very much for all the quick responses, I'll be looking at it after work tomorrow. Again, thank you every question was answered and then some.

If they both have 250,000 miles on them, I wouldn't buy either one. If they both are still in the trucks, then you should be able to start them and listen, oil pressure, etc. etc. I would buy the best engine, lowest mileage, etc. If all equal, I would go with the 360. Heads will be the same. Maybe you buy the fuel pump eccentric kit from hughes, install your LA motor timing chain cover and leave the cam alone. You will need a different intake for the magnum motors.

If they both have 250,000 miles on them, I wouldn't buy either one. If they both are still in the trucks, then you should be able to start them and listen, oil pressure, etc. etc. I would buy the best engine, lowest mileage, etc. If all equal, I would go with the 360. Heads will be the same. Maybe you buy the fuel pump eccentric kit from hughes, install your LA motor timing chain cover and leave the cam alone. You will need a different intake for the magnum motors.

Why would you not buy one if it had 250K?
The last 360 mag I bought still had cross hatches in the cylinders, it had over 200K on it.

If they're both truck engines and you plan on converting from the fuel injection sysytem to carburation I'd go with the 360/5.9. The Mopar performance crates where the same 5.9 magnum truck engine with an M1 intake and depending on the date, started at 300 horsepower and by the end of the production upgrades were in the 380 horsepower range and torquey as all get out too.

Why would you not buy one if it had 250K?
The last 360 mag I bought still had cross hatches in the cylinders, it had over 200K on it.

Because most salvage yards will sell you one (either one) for 350 bucks with around 120k-150k miles..... AND you DON'T have to pull it! So now I ask you, why would you pull a motor with that high of mileage when for the same money they will pull one for you with a 100,000 miles less???

Because most salvage yards will sell you one (either one) for 350 bucks with around 120k-150k miles..... AND you DON'T have to pull it! So now I ask you, why would you pull a motor with that high of mileage when for the same money they will pull one for you with a 100,000 miles less???

Yup. LKQ will sell you one for tween 300 and 400 with high mileage. Still has intake and exhaust just no front accessories.

Only thing is, they will not sell for that price if you call them directly. They only run stuff that cheap on Ebay.

-
Back