360 or 318 which would you rather have???

360 or 318,which would you rather modify??

Votes: 210 76.4%

Votes: 65 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-
Status
Not open for further replies.

stroked 340

Banned
Reaction score
Starting with a "stock" engine which would you rather modify for performance??

You must be a politician. Asking a biased question like this. WHERE is the choice for 273 and 340? Even though there are lots of "big stroker" kits out there, many of use would rather have a 340 "just for the mistique." Back in the day, it was THE small block engine.

Of course NEXT the BB/ RB boys will chime in---and while I've never before owned an A, much less with a BB, I have owned several BB cars. My all-time favorite was my '70 sixpack RR, most of time driven with an Edelbrock/ 850 Holley. When you take an optioned car such as that---the heaviest suspension available, lots and LOTS of power and torque, and combine it with the then fairly new radials, you have a fairly heavy car that RESPONDS like a much smaller, lighter car.

Later on I swapped a 340 into that car !!!! and was pleasantly surprised to find a VERY nice combo of power and great gas mileage. The small amount of weight off the front via that SB 340 REALLy made that RR handle

SO I VOTE FOR NONE OF THE ABOVE

Oh boy (Sigh) A simple question with a complicated answer.

If the choice between the 2 were in front of me in any state, fully ready to bare blocks, the 360 would be the big it.

(Unless I'm class racing and have a need for the 318 to fit within the rules)

For everyday driving, it's hard to beat a warmed up '18. And yes, I've owned 360s. They're gas hogs and tend to run hot.

Mission dictates the build...I like 318's myself. I like that high revving little engine. I have a nicely built 318 in my 68 cuda, and I have my 360 based 408 stroker in my 70 Dart. Best of both worlds. :)

Starting with a "stock" engine which would you rather modify for performance??

A 360 would be better of course because of the increased displacement but a 318 is better for gas mileage unless you are not worried about that. With the right combination a 318 can have a good amount of power and torque and are lighter and make whatever car you put it in handle much better also. Another thing is the sense of accomplishment you get when you make a little engine perform with the big boys, "that's only a 318?".

it all depend of what you wanna do with it?

do you already have those block?

if you plan of doing road trip around town?
make a race engine?

to me I prefer 360 more cube more torque

and also more parts(piston...)

The way gas prices are goin you might wanna include a slant 6 in your options.

318 is a good motor that can be built up to make some good power. 340 would be my choice though. Big bores for the cubs and short stroke for the revs. Moper knew what they were doing when they made it that way.

Both can be built for similar money. For me, building street engines, longest stroke always gets the knod.

it depends, but I'd take a 340 over either for a Performance application. 100% street I'd actually take the 318 over the 360. A truck pulling a bed load of stuff I'd take the 360.

Ok,didn't ask for oppinions simple question Which would you modify???

Depends entirely on what you want out of the build.

If your goal is around 350 hp or less, there's no reason not to build a 318. If you're looking for 400+ hp, then modify the 360.

I have modified both!

Engine is not a 318. it's a stroker. If your going to say, "But it's a 318 block/bore...don't. It's a stroker that is no longer a 318 cube engine. It has a 4 inch stroke.

Original question was......

Originally Posted by stroked 340

I was simply proving that a 318 BLOCK can get it done also!

Not picking any fights, I like them all and have modified both!

No replacement for displacement. You will spend the same amount on a motor either way.. so why not a big block? I'm building a 360 also... but I might go with a 440 instead

man o man what a way to rub it in my face, I have a FULLY BUILT 360 awaiting my dart one day in its place is a stock 318 :( one day one day

This is a horribly loaded question, related to someones recent 318 bashing and time out from FABO.

Problem is…… It will not prove the point the OP is looking for. Point being, his perception that 318s are boat anchors.

On to the question at hand…….

For a strict performance build I would go with a 360.

But in the real world people often go with what they have. This is especially true with young guns and/or first time hobbyists.

It's about your feet wet, learning the ropes and haveing great fun building. If you get that from a 318, so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back