360 or 340

-

isabil22

Reaction score
I am looking at a couple of engines to replace the 318 in my duster. trying to decide which would be the best for me. I want a street car but want some power, and something reliable. My first option is a magnum 5.9 I am not good with internal spec therefore I wanted the forums thoughts. It is a roller cam 280/288 220/228 @.050 .525 lift ,lsa110, icl106. The heads have been pressure tested 3 angle valve job, guides honed. mopar performance .600 lift valve springs, cromoly retainers,harden valve locks,springs set to correct height. The heads are capable of 450 hp. The block was honed ,new set pistons speedpro with moly skirt coating. The main bores were measured and found to be excellent. The rods were sized on a sunnen rod machine.The crank was polished and the oil holes blended. New speed pro bearings,melling oil pump/pickup. Cloyes double roller timing set, cam was degreed to 106 icl. All gaskets are new feltpro. New rpm air gap intake manifold with new water outlet. New mech. fuel pump and new electronic distributor.New mopar performance valve covers. Plug wires and plugs. The guy seems to know his engines had this one built for a project and ended up selling it before he installed the motor. He claims it will be pushing close to 400 hp. I have p/s p/b and a/c. on my car now. Did not know if I could run everything ok on this engine.He offered to sell for 2500.00 what do you think? Please let me hear your thoughts on this one. The other one pretty much a stock 340 69 block x heads with a little more than stock cam, still has original bore. It has a date coded original 4v intake. No extra add on parts. I know this builder is good at what he does. 2600.00 let know what you think. thanks Bill

Search the forum, 360 for power vs price 340 for numbers matching hullabaloo.

I am looking at a couple of engines to replace the 318 in my duster. trying to decide which would be the best for me. I want a street car but want some power, and something reliable. My first option is a magnum 5.9 I am not good with internal spec therefore I wanted the forums thoughts. It is a roller cam 280/288 220/228 @.050 .525 lift ,lsa110, icl106. The heads have been pressure tested 3 angle valve job, guides honed. mopar performance .600 lift valve springs, cromoly retainers,harden valve locks,springs set to correct height. The heads are capable of 450 hp. The block was honed ,new set pistons speedpro with moly skirt coating. The main bores were measured and found to be excellent. The rods were sized on a sunnen rod machine.The crank was polished and the oil holes blended. New speed pro bearings,melling oil pump/pickup. Cloyes double roller timing set, cam was degreed to 106 icl. All gaskets are new feltpro. New rpm air gap intake manifold with new water outlet. New mech. fuel pump and new electronic distributor.New mopar performance valve covers. Plug wires and plugs. The guy seems to know his engines had this one built for a project and ended up selling it before he installed the motor. He claims it will be pushing close to 400 hp. I have p/s p/b and a/c. on my car now. Did not know if I could run everything ok on this engine.He offered to sell for 2500.00 what do you think? Please let me hear your thoughts on this one. The other one pretty much a stock 340 69 block x heads with a little more than stock cam, still has original bore. It has a date coded original 4v intake. No extra add on parts. I know this builder is good at what he does. 2600.00 let know what you think. thanks Bill

Not sure the power brakes will work with that cam on the 360 , was the stock 340 off a 4 speed car or auto , forge if the cam was different between 4 speed and auto back in 69 .
One thing for sure , if you ever sell the engine you'll get more for the 340 off someone looking for a numbers matching mill , 360 dime a dozen .

I don't know a lot about cam spec is the 360 cam low on the vacuum? How much lope will it have?

Not sure with roller cams , but those specs on a flat tappet are close to the limit for power brakes .You can always change the cam , will not cost much . Plus I'm biased towards the 340 , been my go to engine since 1972 , had bad luck with 360's , 2 cranks that went bad .
The 360 built right is probably the least expensive way to go power/$$ .

The Magnum looks like a nice package to me. The [email protected] cam should be fine with the PB's. I can see some issues with the mounting of all your accessories, especially the A/C, but I'm sure it can be worked around with some fab work, and certainly some guys here can help with that.

I ran a Mopar purple;292/.509 cam for a bit. Booster worked fine.Currently running a Hughes [email protected] deal.Its hard to argue against the extra cubes.Its about one cam size or one rear gear size.Ive had several 340 cars.I aint going back.
I think I read here somewhere that the airgap had a problem with A/C mounting interfering with heater hose hook-up.Not sure. 5.9s are plenty torquey in A-bodys.

Original bore 340?? that would answer the question for me right there.

AJ, that AG issue I posted about was on my 5.9 and the fix is a drill and tap for a new heater hose location. I don't know about the LA engines and A/C fitment.

Isabil22, I like a nice torquey engine for the street. I like the 360 over the 340. 20 more cubes in stroke. There cheaper and perform! They also take less revs to make the same power with more torque.

That 220/226 @ .050 on a 110 should idle like a stock 340 cam. Go for the Magnum mill at 2600 bones, that's a steal.

-
Back