360 Pan and Gasket Question

-

TexasStroker

Reaction score
I've been having nothing but trouble trying to figure this out, and everyone you talk to says something different. :angry7:

#1-First off, does the "MP Oil Pan Package (P5249059) 360 Center Sump" clear the 4" crank in a 408? (That part # might be dated, lol...I'm talking about the MP package mancini has on clearance).
I get mixed feedback from people and dealers alike.
Similarly some say they run the Milodon stock replacement pan, but the specs for it say it won't clear??

#2-Secondly, this is very frustrating. Around this time last year through early 2008 there was a SCE part number for a 360 oil pan gasket; yes specific to the LA family. I promise I'm not the only one to claim this...It disappeared between then and when I was trying to order. I have never found the part number again. I've seen several threads across the net that suggest summit misadvertised the gasket or something to that effect...Similar stuff here:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=34809

What I want to know is if anyone has the part number or knows where to get one? Does it really exist? Any chance the SCE Magnum 1 piece gasket would work in place of it?

I was so excited when I saw the 1 piece gasket for the LA SB I shot out e-mails to friends...It is times like these you regret deleting your sent msgs :(

Thanks in advance for any help...And sorry for rambling, it's late and I haven't really slept much the last couple of days :toothy10:

I dont know specifically about either question. However there is an easy way to check the pan fitment. If you have a stock style pan laying around - Try it on the engine ! If it fits and you want to get an idea how close it is to the crank - Take some clay or playdoe and rotate the crank throws to the lowest point of travel on #3 and later #4 crank throws (cyls 5&6, 7&8) - put a lump of clay on the throw(s) and put the pan on, allow it to crush the clay, remove the pan and inspect the clay to see the thinnest portion. AS far as how much or what is acceptable ? I'm not sure. I'd like to see at least a 1/2 inch, of course more would be better. I dont know if 1/2 is enough - but I would think it is.

Thanks for the idea...I'd certainly be willing to test fitment and solve the "mystery" if I had the pan but all I've got around are either 440 based parts or the occasional 318 piece....

A lot of people run stock oil pans with 4" cranks without issue. Why do you think you won't have clearance? What type of rods are you running because rod bolt to lower bore clearance is usually where there is a problem.

Due to mixed feedback from sources regarding "yes" it will clear or "no" it will not clear, I posted here to get more info...For some reason some I talk to say yes and others no...There isn't a huge group of 408 ple running around here, so you are pretty limited, hence why asking here...More ple, more experience
The milodon spec sheet on summit says it will not clear...Yet, I know of ple running them...I couldn't find specs for the MP pan and figured several ple on here would either a)be running one with no issue or b) tell me to forget it as it won't clear...
I'm running Ohio H-beams...
So I'm guessing the consensus is the stock pan will in fact work? If so very cool 8) Thanks for the info!

Now does anyone know about the gasket? :-D

I bought a 1 peice fgasket for my 360 and ended up throwing it in the trashe before I could figure out how to get it on. I was trying to install it while motor in the car. I determined the only way to do this properly ion my car was to turn the car updside down and well.... im not set up to do that. LOL

Maybe there is a better way... i just didnt know it. I even used the little plastic holder things... no help. I got so frustrated !

good luck.

-RPM

Hey Tex I don't know how soon you will need it but I will soon be removing a center sump pan off a brand new mp crate engine - converting to rear sump -I would part with it as soon as i swap it out let me know if interested

Hey Tex never believe anything written on Summit's site about specs. I have found so many errors there in the last couple yrs. it makes me think they have 10 yr. olds doing the website. Most manufacturers have their own website. Look there for the info you need.

Also I've heard many guys say they used the stock pan on a 4" stroke engine. After all your crank is only 1/2" bigger diameter which means it only sticks out 1/4" farther on each side than the stock one. I'm nearly positive it'd clear if it was a 4-1/2" stroke. Come to think of it the stock windage tray bolts up without hitting the crank and it clears the pan so the crank would have to.

Sorry to hear that RPM...I'd be under the car, engine in car, headers and k-member there to help things go smooth too :toothy10:

venomvpr900...any ideas on a price?

Maybe somone needs to go into the oil pan gasket business to sort all this out 8)

Hey Tex never believe anything written on Summit's site about specs. I have found so many errors there in the last couple yrs. it makes me think they have 10 yr. olds doing the website. Most manufacturers have their own website. Look there for the info you need.

Also I've heard many guys say they used the stock pan on a 4" stroke engine. After all your crank is only 1/2" bigger diameter which means it only sticks out 1/4" farther on each side than the stock one. I'm nearly positive it'd clear if it was a 4-1/2" stroke. Come to think of it the stock windage tray bolts up without hitting the crank and it clears the pan so the crank would have to.

Yeah, I picked up on that in the thread I referenced...I knew the years/models etc were screwy, but I was never aware there were so many technical specs up in the air. I'm just glad to know the stock pans will clear...Thanks for the feedback!

-
Back