360 pistons

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Good day gentsssssss.my la 360 is at the machine shop, i am looking for some help on picking pistons. Keep in mind my budget is low.They are doing a stock bottom end rebuild, i am shooting for 20 over 9 to 1 piston,not sure about the KB heard lots of bad reviews,so can someone shed some light on what to get.this is not a race car build,but would like more comp,as we all know the 360 has low comp.The cam i have now is the comp cam 262,headers,edel rpm intake ,600 holley, thinking about 2800 stall and 355 gear 188 intake valve stock head.thats my cheep build.so what your thoughts. thanks its been a long time posting hear.

speed pro h116cp for 9.5 to 1 or h405cp for 9 to 1 with a .028 head gasket. Both are stock weight so no balancing.

Use the speed pro if you want but there is nothing wrong with KB hypers.
I have had them in my 340 for over a decade and in my 410, where I lost a cul wall and one piston... all others were fine.
Gap accordingly, bore multiplied by .0065-.0075 for gas drag or mild nitrous .0085 for big shots

I have used both the KB-107 & Speed Pro H116CP.
Both are just fine.
Anybody complaining about a Hyperutecic slug probably has ether not read the instructions, can’t follow the instructions, doesn’t care about the instructions or just simply beat there crap to death without mercy. Those people are put in the following category - MORON.

problem with KP hyper pistons is people dont read the instructions on the ring gap.....otherwise nothing wrong with KB hyper pistons

well the builder thats doing my engine is very know in my area and is a mopar guy.will talk to him tomorrow,will my 360 need balancing if i choose the KB.

well the builder thats doing my engine is very know in my area and is a mopar guy.will talk to him tomorrow,will my 360 need balancing if i choose the KB.
Balance regardless of what brand you use buddy, you're going to need to rebalance anyways if it's a good piston cuz it should be a little lighter than stock.

What's with all these people trying to push it together without a balanced job these days last few weeks all these threads come up about needing balance or not when you buy new Pistons are we regressing?

Rebalancing is mandatory in my opinion. Otherwise you’re just throwing money out the door. Balancing should be included in the price of your build up. Bar none. Overall, the price spent on bouncing it’s just simply cheap insurance to ensure that the engine will run smoothly for a long time. The cost is chump change over rebuilding what you did because it shook it self to death.

my last 360 with stock 20 over trw pistons did not need the balance job ran real good no shake,i just want a little more comp.

Don't forget about these, suffix ending in a "X or Y". They are much cheaper than the regular 116's . difference is in the compression height, Y's are slightly shorter and X's are the same compression distance as the 4 notch H405CP's
100_2588-jpg.jpg

The last three engines I use the Speed Pro h116cp pistons in did not require any balancing. All of the pistons were of stock weight. They were all 360 la engines that were .030 overbore.

just talk to the builder he says the h 116 cp are a good choice,he will get back to me on a price.thanks again for the help all.

I went with the speedpro h116cp in mine it didnt need rebalancing either. I'm sure it wouldnt hurt to have it balanced but it's far from mandatory.

Currently have a very good running 360 with the Speed Pro h116cp pistons in it....with SM CNC heads....
also got another good running 360 with KB107 pistons with same kind of heads on it....so spend your money...

the speed pro motor was not rebalanced and is externally balanced.....the kb107 motor is internally balanced..

Currently have a very good running 360 with the Speed Pro h116cp pistons in it....with SM CNC heads....
also got another good running 360 with KB107 pistons with same kind of heads on it....so spend your money...

the speed pro motor was not rebalanced and is externally balanced.....the kb107 motor is internally balanced..

Do you run either engine on pump gas 91-93 oct. KB says the 107 will protrude from the deck on a magnum block and produce 10.9 compression with a 62cc chamber head.
I have the iron magnum heads with 62cc chamber and wondering if 10.9 is to much for iron heads and 91-93 pump gas.

You're right, but you won't hear of me doing it. I like better than factory on my stuff.
Yea I agree that the factory balance isnt the best. I would love to be able to afford to have one balanced during the rebuilt but with my budget factory balance will have to be good enough

-
Back