360 Plug help

-
idle is really bad burns your eyes out in a matter of minutes

Not at all uncommon with those carbs.

BG had a really good dealer program, where a small shop could sell a carb and match Summit or Jegs on price, and still make a decent profit on them.
But, not one of them ever came ootb and ran great with only an idle mixture screw tweak(actually, I take that back…….. there was one).
We’d waste a bunch of time sorting them out on the dyno.
Eventually we just stopped selling them, since an equivalent Holley was so much less trouble to get dialed in …….. and have the customer happy.

Several of the Demon units we got in were real horror shows.

No idea on that part.

I plan on pulling the motor and trans out over the winter and going thru both since they both leak oil.
I would certainly check it then. Be the perfect time.

Not at all uncommon with those carbs.

BG had a really good dealer program, where a small shop could sell a carb and match Summit or Jegs on price, and still make a decent profit on them.
But, not one of them ever came ootb and ran great with only an idle mixture screw tweak.
We’d waste a bunch of time sorting them out on the dyno.
Eventually we just stopped selling them, since an equivalent Holley was so much less trouble to get dialed in …….. and have the customer happy.

Several of the Demon units we got in were real horror shows.
I think I'll just get it close for the rest of the year so the kids can go for a ride and over the winter swap the carb out with the Sniper 2 or something else.

Yeah, no one EVER modifies a Carter/Edelbrock by altering hole sizes.

Nobody? :D

Yeah, those are pressed in bleeds. They CAN be changed, but it's pretty labor intensive. They have to be pulled, then the holes tapped for screw in bleeds. If you really want that adjustability, I'd just get a Quick Fuel carburetor and be done with it.

It’s not hard if you don’t drop one down in the motor or screw up the drilling.

Actually, the Speed Demon’s I’ve played with just had holes drilled in the casting as air bleeds.
They would come with a small zip lock bag of 4 press in bleeds that could be pushed into the idle bleed holes to help richen up the idle, if you thought it needed that.

Nobody? :D

It’s not hard if you don’t drop one down in the motor or screw up the drilling.

Yeah, I'd probably remove the carburetor, because I would tap it for screw in bleeds, but you did a good job.

Yeah, I'd probably remove the carburetor, because I would tap it for screw in bleeds, but you did a good job.

Thanks.
I considered putting replaceable ones in, but I would have had to get flats milled on the carb body to make room for the bleeds.
There wasn’t enough flat area for the heads of screw in bleeds.

Thanks.
I considered putting replaceable ones in, but I would have had to get flats milled on the carb body to make room for the bleeds.
There wasn’t enough flat area for the heads of screw in bleeds.
You did better than I would have in any event. I wouldda had to chunk it in the trash can when I was done.

-
Back