360 Rebuild Horsepower Potential

-

bongy337

Just a guy who loves old mopars.
Reaction score
Hello Mopar family, Could anyone let me know if this combo can make good horsepower. If so, how much?

4448308 cylinder head Sourced from 1988 Dodge Truck 1.88 intake /1.60 exhaust
3512100 Cast Iron Intake Manifold Sourced from1972 340 Engine
4006830 Engine Block 1975 casting
6322 Carter Thermoquad from a 1974 Dodge Truck

Speed-Pro Hypereutectic Pistons H116CP60
Compression Distance: 1.660"
Piston Head Volume: +5.00cc
Wrist Pin Style: Press-fit or Floating
Pin Diameter: 0.984"
Piston Ring Thickness: 5/64" x 5/64" x 3/16"

Stock 360 Rods

Lunati Voodoo Camshaft 60403
Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 268/276
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 226/234
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .494/.513
LSA/ICL: 110/106
Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
RPM Range: 1800-6200

Thanks for your help and looking forward to your responses. Cheers !

Not enough exacting information to predict or guess the potential power.

Distance of piston to head? Or deck height. Head gasket to be used.
Exhaust manifolds or which headers that be employed and the exhaust pipe size, what muffler?

As a rough, and I do mean rough guesstimate one could fathom 350hp. More or less.

Yeah, there's a ton of variables missing. I would be more conservative given you're not providing info on the level and quality of machining or other parts. I'd put it around 325hp at the crank. If the short block and heads are blueprinted, and performance quality work and parts are used, and the exhaust is headers and a good system, and the carb is close to right, and you can tune, it should be stronger.

Yeah, there's a ton of variables missing. I would be more conservative given you're not providing info on the level and quality of machining or other parts. I'd put it around 325hp at the crank. If the short block and heads are blueprinted, and performance quality work and parts are used, and the exhaust is headers and a good system, and the carb is close to right, and you can tune, it should be stronger.
It does look like a good street performer. The abilty to cruise and lay some rubber. I did something similar with the wife's 360 compression/cam wise. Same slugs and a Hyd. roller of about the same duration. It needs gears though. ith the 3.23's, it is slow out of the hole but it does run really well top end. Top speed is good. I had the car to 130 the other week.

It does look like a good street performer. The abilty to cruise and lay some rubber. I did something similar with the wife's 360 compression/cam wise. Same slugs and a Hyd. roller of about the same duration. It needs gears though. ith the 3.23's, it is slow out of the hole but it does run really well top end. Top speed is good. I had the car to 130 the other week.

Thanks for the input guys. The block was blue printed and 0 decked. I was told the compression is roughly 10.2. I will be using headers, 1 5/8, in a 1976 valiant behind a strong rebuilt 904 and a 3.91 sure grip 8 1/4.

Last edited:
My 360 has 9 to 1 comp, 0 decking, a 904, 8 1/4 rear, 3.55 gears and a sure grip, stock bottom end (will never be raced), around 350 HP. I use an Edelbrock RPM air gap intake and love it. Sounds like yours will have much more power than mine.

Bongy, IMO, I think that is going to be a nice combo. Should be a good ripper around the city streets.

Jean Guy! How are ya buddy?!?!
Gettin chilly up north yet?

-
Back