360 refresh.

-

1973dartswinger

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I recently bought a 1976 volare wagon for the drivetrain and plan to put it in my dart. Once I get the motor out of the wagon Im going to be cleaning it up with my cousin, whose a mechanic, changing the gaskets giving it a coat of paint etc etc. The motor that came in the car is a 360 with some work casting date 1973. tranny is a 727 automatic with a reverse valve body and b&m shifter. The specs of the motor are as followed :
I lost the specs on the cam, but the 360 heads have heavier springs
for the cam, it is +30 and 9.5:1 compression so it uses regular gas. It
runs on a Streetmaster 318 with gasket matching ports. Valves are
1.88 I and 1.60 E. TRW Pistons & Clevite bearings were used. Bottom
end is stock and should be good to 5500 RPMs, but I shift at 5000. It
has a ThermoQuad from a 400, I think. It was rebuilt by a guy in
Georgia. also a 3000 stall converter
I plan to change the mounts on the 8 1/4 from the wagon and put it in the dart also. He gave me 3.55 gears with it and is looking for the sure grip for it.
My question to you guys are what are some things I could do, on a reasonable budget to spruce up the motor a little more. I was told this motor with those gears was made for a demon to run high 12's, not sure if that's realistic but I'm sure you guys will know better and let me know! Any help is appreciated to let me know what I could do to give this motor a little more pep and if it will actually put my car into 12's.
Thanks for the help guys I'm new at the whole motor thing.

Dump the street master for a RPM or a M-1 single if your not to concerned with a slight lack of torque due to the single plain down low on the RPM scale. The M-1 will also take the TQ where the RPM will not.

Know what cam came with the engine. Ask the last owner. Otherwise, .........

The stock bottom end, minus the pistons which were replaced due to the 9.5-1 ratio should be fine to 6500 rpm, no problem. Your probably short shifting.

The information provided is what the original owner gave me. He doesn't remember the specs of the cam. Am i pretty much out of luck with out that information? Aside from an intake, should I swap the cam for something I know the specs of? Should I change the rods? What about heads? The car is a street car and I want to make a solid car that's constant quarter time. Same thing with the rear gears what would the ideal gears be?

Also what about the thermoquad i plan to keep it for now but is it worth keepin in the future or should i plan to swap it

At this time, just enjoy the car for what it is. Run it at the track and see how it is. IF you have a need to go faster, then start changing parts. Change nothing! For now. The TQ should be fine. It is an excellent street strip carb. Small primary for excellent street manors and whopping big secondaries for running hard.

A stock TQ doesn't take to big cams so well. You'll need to modify it. It'll be cheaper than a new carb. If a new carb is in the works, due to a big cam or other issue... look into a Holley and not just a basic run of the mill unit. Step up or stay with the TQ.

Once you have yourself a few runs at the track and tuned it to it's best, see what you have as far as the slip is concerned. If you get your 12's, your good right?

Thanks for your help.
Thats what I was figuring to do but I would hate to have to pull the motor back out to change parts -_-.
I guess ill be seeing how it runs, might as well not get deeper then I have to!

-
Back