360 running on 4 cylinders

-
When you say you had to fight to keep it at TDC compression, this is scary; because at exactly TDC, this should not be so. If you introduce the pressure, (no more than 80psi), slowly, the piston will stay there all by itself.

I still say the ring blow-by isn't the cause of his symptoms. I've seen engines with tons of miles and only 80lbs compression across the board, smoking like wet wood, and still idled smooth and on all cylinders.

Yes, it was on the compression stroke. I was fighting to keep it from turning with the socket wrench on the crankshaft when I applied the air.
If it's pushing the piston down, that really sounds like it's sealing. How much air pressure were you using with the leak down detector?

There she blows. Finally got the engine pulled. Really, the amount of smoke it was blowing out the end plus the oil sprayed all over the intake, told me it was time. My son and I are going to tear it down and rebuild it from the ground up if the block is ok. Our plan is to make it a stroker. End goal is 500hp with 500ft/lb of torque. I think it will be doable with the right heads and compression ratio. We'll be working with an engine builder to put together the rotating assembly, all balanced and ready to go. Wish us luck, I'll keep you posted on the progress.

IMG_20200916_220241.jpg

good luck with the build 500 500 is easily doable on a stroker , you will have lots of fun driving that . what size stroker you planning on building ?

My son and I tore the engine down today. #6 was the culprit for sure. It had a puddle of oil on top of the piston and it looked like this when we pulled the piston out. You can clearly see a diagonal ridge on the side of the cylinder and some nasty scaling? Not sure what went wrong, but that was the problem.

PO told us this engine was rebuilt, but I seriously doubt it. The crank bearings are totally worn out and the smell when we pulled the crank told me there was some nasty 46 year-old oil hiding in there somewhere. I still can't get the stink off my hands.

Sending the block off for inspection to determine next steps.

IMG_20200919_152351.jpg

Looks like water or coolant sat in that hole. If it's only in one cylinder, I'd suspect head Gasket or some other means of entry (like a cracked cylinder wall, pinhole, cracked head, etc). If it was rain, condensation, or from it sitting after a head swap (people will leave water/coolant pooled in cylinders sometimes, I don't know why!) it usually shows up in more than one hole.

Machine shop should be able to rule out the expensive causes..

-
Back