360 swap?

-

70net440

Reaction score
Picked up a 76 motor home 360/727 combo for my son's 70 swinger. Wondering what will need to be done to swap it for the 340/727 combo currently in the car. I know we will have to get a 360 pan, but will we need to get a new pick-up also? Read on here the air ports on the heads will need to be tapped and plugged. What about motor mounts? Also we have Performer 318/360 intake. Will this work well with the factory Carter carb? Anything I'm missing? Thanks for any replies.

Are the output parts on the 727 the same as what's in the car?
Motorhomes commonly used different output shaft parts.

Motor mounts for 360 and 340 are the same, the oil pick-up for car oil pan the same from 340 and 360, the tail shaft on the motor home 727 is probably different than the car set up.

I believe the performer intake is a spread bore intake that also excepts the square bore carb. Your automatic choke set up probably wont work though so you will have to figure out something for that.

Thanks for the replies. I have the yoke from the motorhome. It is a long tailshaft slip yoke trans, not a bolt on yoke. I'll check if the splines are the same. The 340 keeps leaking water into the oil. We tried resealing the intake three times with two different intakes, no luck. It's .060" over and was overhauled by my son for his senior project back in 2005. We recently pulled the intake and found a wiped out cam and a few bent pushrods. We planned to put the vin on the lost and found page just in case someone might need it, but I think it is junk.

Thanks for the replies. I have the yoke from the motorhome. It is a long tailshaft slip yoke trans, not a bolt on yoke. I'll check if the splines are the same. The 340 keeps leaking water into the oil. We tried resealing the intake three times with two different intakes, no luck. It's .060" over and was overhauled by my son for his senior project back in 2005. We recently pulled the intake and found a wiped out cam and a few bent pushrods. We planned to put the vin on the lost and found page just in case someone might need it, but I think it is junk.

My guess is the 340 most likely only has a cracked head or bad head gasket, I would not junk it too fast.
Why not just use the tranny that is already in the car if bolting the 360 in with the correct flex plate for balance?

-
Back