360 timing chain

-

72demon340

Reaction score
hello,

I think im gonna change the timing chain and gear for my 360. It is a 1975 Motor with almost 100k on it. The engine is being used in my 75 Gran Fury Demolition derby car. My question is what is a good timing chain and gear for it. It jumped time on me during the derby. it still ran ok, but really bogged down and spit and sputtered when I got on it. I took out the electronic ignition and am using a points dist. out of a 1969 318. Let me know

thanks

Kevin

If you want a decent quality unit I`d invest in a Cloyes roller, but if you just need something new, then get something cheap at your local auto parts store. Even an el- cheapo new has to be better than one with 100,000 miles on it.

AdamR said:
Summit Racing sells roller chains for about $30

This is true and funny thing is if you look on the gears they have the same part number as the much more expensive Cloyes set. Coincidence-maybe but it makes me wonder if Cloyes makes it for Summit.

fishy68 said:
This is true and funny thing is if you look on the gears they have the same part number as the much more expensive Cloyes set. Coincidence-maybe but it makes me wonder if Cloyes makes it for Summit.

They probably do, somebody has to make `em , right. A good way to save a few bucks.

You can run a cheap timing set, and stick a tensioner on it too...That will keep it from sliding when it streches.

-
Back