360 trans to motor brace

-

old school

Reaction score
All right guys I need an expert on this one. I'm puttint a 360 into a formally 6 cyl 1974 duster. I've got a 727 automatic behind the 360. The motor I bought had a brace on the drivers side by the starter that goes from the lower part of the transmission bell housing up to about midway on the engine block. It bolts in solid. I mounted it but it looks like there should be 1 on the passanger side by the oil filter.
Question is do I need this brace on the right side of the engine or is just having 1 enough? I have been told of a guy that left these braces off on his van and it cracked his transmission case.
If I need the brace where do I get 1? I only need the passanger side.

Thanks
Old School

I have both braces. Would say your better off with it than without.Cheap insurance!

I have several of them if you need them. I have to look at mine again, but I think it is impossible to use them, with TTI headers, if that tells you anything.

I'd recommend installing one. Don't know what exhaust you have (manifolds or headers) but most of the time you have to grind it down some to clear if you have headers. I know that grinding on it takes away some strength but it's better than none at all.

BTW: if you do have headers be prepared to fight it installing it as it's real close in there.

...........BBs dont use them.........they were 1st used on 4x4s.........most race cars dont have them.............kim.........

...........BBs dont use them.........they were 1st used on 4x4s.........most race cars dont have them.............kim.........

Yeah but he has a 360 small block. I know what your saying about a lot of guys not running them on race cars but it seems to me that's where they'd be most important since they develope more torque. Just my thoughts.

Yeah but he has a 360 small block. I know what your saying about a lot of guys not running them on race cars but it seems to me that's where they'd be most important since they develope more torque. Just my thoughts.

Well weight is a major consideration for a race car so anything extra just gets pitched. Lots of race cars use mid engine plates as well so the braces would not be needed.

The braces I have are on a truck 360.

I don't even remember when the last time was that I had the braces on any of my race cars. It doesn't hurt to have them but it doesn't hurt not to either!

Have not used those braces in years on either street car or race car...

-
Back