360 truck motor

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Well went to here this 360 truck motor today,Its in a 89 dodge truck no smog tubs on the heads has a carter 4 barrel on it.Firered up no ticks or knocks or blue smoke from it either.motor is dirty tho so I did not spend the time to get #ssss of it .I talk to someone who said a 4 barrell 360 has more compression than a 2 barrell 360 from the factory,is this true.This sounds like a deal to me 300 bucks.I know I need a different oil pan,dip stick and tube, and converter.I can use my pick up from my oil pump from 318 right.If i get it i plan on using my 340 j heads, alum intake,holly 650.all new gasgets and a cam of course.cant aford a rebuilt yet tho.Any thoughts.Thanks Don.

If it is the original motor for a 1989 Dodge truck it should be a throttle body injected roller cam engine. Would also have desirable (308, IIRC) heads. (I see you're in Canada. Maybe a Canadian spec motor would be different?) Would be good for a buildup. I bought one recently for $250 & wasn't able to hear it run because it was already out of the truck (fingers crossed). If it's a roller cam engine I'd probably get it. FI engines tend to last longer because they don't get raw gas washing down the cylinders like a carb engine can. Might try to get the price lowered. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Thanks 64 Cuda he is firm on 300 tryed to jew him down.He is a old time mopar guy.Not sure if it was the org motor

You mentioned 2 bbl & 4 bbl. Did this engine have a carb? The 360 truck motor I bought has some type of smog tube connecting the exhaust manifolds & crossing over the rear of the engine. Might help ID it. It's still probably worth the $300 for a good running 360.

If its an 89 -360 it should be an LA style roller cam engine - gives you more options later on for upgrades - like a roller cam. no difference in 4bl/2bl - pistons are ±.080" in the hole. With your J heads @ ±72cc it will be a bit low on compression but still a good deal to start with.
I used a 91-360 for my stroker build - its a good base to start.
need any info pm me.

Snake,clean it up and swap to j heads,intake,carb.Enjoy it for the summer!You,ll be surprised at the difference from a 318.$300 sounds good for a running 360 with low mileage.

-
Back