360 tune up help needed

-

ef8340

Reaction score
okay fellas im needing some ideas i spent the better part of yesterday timing and tuning my 360 in the dart and got it pretty close but it doesnt spin a tire unless you nail it in reverse is there something im missing here heres what im dealing with is
89 LA 360 roller motor [0.40 over unsure of piston types, double roller timing chain less than 500 miles since rebuild ,
unsure of cam size doesnt sound radical motor came out of a 89 Ramcharger 4x4 so im thinking a R.V. style cam
edelbrock 318/360 performer intake this isnt the R.P.M or air gap
edelbrock thunder series 650 carb manual choke [not hooked up but fixed open]
direct connection electronic distributor
mopar performance coil, M.P. chrome box, along with the right ballast box for this set up
advanced auto O.E.M fuel pump for a 70 340 [ if that matters]
904 torqueflight trans w high performance valve body unsure of stall on convertor B&M flexplate 10239
8 3/4 3:23 open
anybody running a similar set up if so what's your timing set up at

What is the current initial timing at idle and what idle speed?

I'd put about 12-16 initial at idle, then check what the total is by revving it up to about 3500 or so.

my 72 charger was the same way, but it was set up for racing8) the rear would drop nose in the air, do you have super stock springs, traction bars? btw you really don't need traction bars on a mopar as they did the rears fight in these cars:cheers:

i hope this helps
my initial timing is set at 10 before tdc and my idle is around 750 rpms cant really tell onthe rpms thought dont have a tach but it sounds to be around 750 ,.....factory 340 rear spings adjustable pinion snubber
Terry

update well its running alittle better me and my father in law tinkered with the timing and adjusted the carb alittle bit now it doesnt have a studder upon acceleration still kinda doggish but will spin the tire around the corner my father in law noticed alot of black soot and some black gunkie stuff in the carb probillay from running to rich and back firing alot when it was on the old 318 gonna get some carb cleaner spray and new air filter maybe that might help it out of the doggishness then we'll adjust and tune it some more on another note i noticed my oil pressure gauge was slightly below 20 psi when idling? im running 10w 40 valvoline conventional do you think i should run a heavier weight oil? still searching for my dwell meter it has a tach on it so i can tune it alittle better, might break down and buy a cheap tach from advanced auto or auto zone

-
Back