360 vs 383

383 or 360 ?

• overall, 383 all things considered

Votes: 31 58.5%
  • overall, 360 all things considered

Votes: 22 41.5%

• Total voters
-
BTW.. for fairness we should be choosing 360 vs. 361... would see more fair...
Technically the 361 still has advantages bore size is still a fair bit larger and you have access to all the aftermarket big block heads and if go stoker gonna produce more overall cid than a stroker 360, is a 361 really worth doing probably not.

I think it's time for you to stick a big block in an A-body. I think you won't be disappointed, in fact I know you won't.
4.10 gear with headers will be enough to bring a big smile on your face.
Yeah, I need to. I know folks that had them of course, I've rode in them, but I've not myself in a A-body. And, I'd expect a BB not to need 4.10's in a light car.

Technically the 361 still has advantages bore size is still a fair bit larger and you have access to all the aftermarket big block heads and if go stoker gonna produce more overall cid than a stroker 360, is a 361 really worth doing probably not.
I drove one 361 in a '61 Dodge. To be honest, it was pretty gutless. A 360 in a C-body would have eat'n it's lunch.

I drove one 361 in a '61 Dodge. To be honest, it was pretty gutless. A 360 in a C-body would have eat'n it's lunch.
I don't doubt it, but if built to take advantage of it's advantages like this 618 hp 361/412 it wouldn't of been and I'm sure you could do similar with a 360 but not because of smaller bore and valves, poorer rod and bore stroke ratios etc.. But in spite of them.

https://www.motortrend.com/articles/mopar-412-big-block/

I don't doubt it, but if built to take advantage of it's advantages like this 618 hp 361/412 it wouldn't of been and I'm sure you could do similar with a 360 but not because of smaller bore and valves, poorer rod and bore stroke ratios etc.. But in spite of them.

https://www.motortrend.com/articles/mopar-412-big-block/
Factory 360 2bbl is a better platform than a factory 361 2bbl.

If you do a big block you need to pick a big wheel well a body. Duster, Dart Sport, Barracuda etc. Ask me how I know!!

I've never had a 383 in a A-body. Maybe it's time. I do know I've owned A-bodies with 360's, and it's almost next to impossible from my experience to keep them out of 13's. Any minor upgrades and it's 12's.
  • Can you believe I ran 13.9's with a 2.45 geared, stock converter, and stock exhaust manifold 360 with the dished pistons and stock smog heads????? Cam was smaller than the Little Red Express factory cam? Like I say, they are the ONLY factory small block that you almost can't keep out of the 13's in a A-body. As you just read, I tried... LOL.

I've had three 360's over the years, none great but got the job done. None were fast, but I did not expect them to be. Pick up and two B-Bodies.

I've had three 360's over the years, none great but got the job done. None were fast, but I did not expect them to be. Pick up and two B-Bodies.
Just curious.... What would you expect a good running stock 383 in a '68 satellite @3600 lbs to run with 3.23's in the 1/4 mile? I just really want to know what your true expectations would be. Thanks

Whittle down a 440 crank with the right pistons and you have a small bore 400.

Just curious.... What would you expect a good running stock 383 in a '68 satellite @3600 lbs to run with 3.23's in the 1/4 mile? I just really want to know what your true expectations would be. Thanks
A 383HP? And if we are allowed slicks and headers maybe? I'd say mid to low 14s. Maybe 13.90s on a good day.

I'm not a quarter mile guy. I never paid attention to my friends Road Runner. You know, back in the day anything in the 13's was considered fast. Drag racing is best done with a car set up to only drag race and goes to the track on a trailer. A street car is a whole different car. You can do either with both cars, but neither will be good at both. I grew up with passing on a 2 lane road. I liked to wind it up to 3,000 rpm, wait for an opening, and floor it. I would be around someone in a heart beat or two and be back in my own lane. Never really picked a race, but never turned one down unless it looked dangerous or stupid. I always turned someone down at least twice. More of a traveling down the highway and some one would not let you alone. Then I would let it unwind. Always just walked away from any one who tried. Then they would leave you alone and I could go back to cruising down the highway.

As for the 68 Satellite with a stock 383, it would depend on what motor was in there and who tuned it. The only B-Body I ever owned was a 64 Polara with a Poly 318 and a push button 727. From there it was a 64 Barracuda with a 273 and 4 speed when I was 19. It was stock for a couple months. I had that car for about 20+ years.

I'm not a quarter mile guy. I never paid attention to my friends Road Runner. You know, back in the day anything in the 13's was considered fast. Drag racing is best done with a car set up to only drag race and goes to the track on a trailer. A street car is a whole different car. You can do either with both cars, but neither will be good at both. I grew up with passing on a 2 lane road. I liked to wind it up to 3,000 rpm, wait for an opening, and floor it. I would be around someone in a heart beat or two and be back in my own lane. Never really picked a race, but never turned one down unless it looked dangerous or stupid. I always turned someone down at least twice. More of a traveling down the highway and some one would not let you alone. Then I would let it unwind. Always just walked away from any one who tried. Then they would leave you alone and I could go back to cruising down the highway.

As for the 68 Satellite with a stock 383, it would depend on what motor was in there and who tuned it. The only B-Body I ever owned was a 64 Polara with a Poly 318 and a push button 727. From there it was a 64 Barracuda with a 273 and 4 speed when I was 19. It was stock for a couple months. I had that car for about 20+ years.
I think either can be "good" at both, but not "great". But I get what you're saying. Each has compromises.

ok, i was just looking for a measuring stick of some sort. No way to measure what you posted but it's not wrong because that's how you measure and get your opinion. :)

ok, i was just looking for a measuring stick of some sort. No way to measure what you posted but it's not wrong because that's how you measure and get your opinion. :)
I'll go with RRR if HP 383 and tuned by him, but few of us would keep it stock. Even my 273 ran a 750 cfm TQ.

A 383HP? And if we are allowed slicks and headers maybe? I'd say mid to low 14s. Maybe 13.90s on a good day.
I was hoping 66fs would give me some sort of way to measure how he comes to his conclusions. I like to understand. I'm open to dialogue. I didn't get that, but his way works for him and that's fine. Some think a certain ET is slow and some think that same ET is king of the street. Either way, both can be correct and if a car is going what it SHOULD be going, then fine because the masses will decide for themself.

I'll go with RRR if HP 383 and tuned by him, but few of us would keep it stock. Even my 273 ran a 750 cfm TQ.
Thanks. Then I'll say give me a 360 with a 4bbl in the same scenario's and I'll run those number or better in that same Satellite. I'm not saying 360 over 383, or the other way, just saying seems the 360 isn't in your play book at all and the 360 give numbers I'd expect to exceed those that you'd be happy with... me using a 360 in the same scenario. Not trying to challenge your choice, I'm just trying to understand the reasons is all :)

Thanks. Then I'll say give me a 360 with a 4bbl in the same scenario's and I'll run those number or better in that same Satellite. I'm not saying 360 over 383, or the other way, just saying seems the 360 isn't in your play book at all and the 360 give numbers I'd expect to exceed those that you'd be happy with... me using a 360 in the same scenario. Not trying to challenge your choice, I'm just trying to understand the reasons is all :)
The difference is, one was offered with 10.25:1 compression and the other never came close. Are we changing compression too? So I can get some 12.5s for my 383 then? lol

You trust me to tune? Oh goodness, now we are in trouble. lol

The difference is, one was offered with 10.25:1 compression and the other never came close. Are we changing compression too? So I can get some 12.5s for my 383 then? lol
LOL... I'll run those numbers with the factory 360 dished pistons and smog heads. In fact, I was 13.9's at 3450 (3650 at the line) with 2.45's, no headers and the dished piston 360. Again, just trying to see how 66fs did his measuring to basically dog the 360 as such an underperformer. Not challenge him, just understand him.

I was hoping 66fs would give me some sort of way to measure how he comes to his conclusions. I like to understand. I'm open to dialogue. I didn't get that, but his way works for him and that's fine. Some think a certain ET is slow and some think that same ET is king of the street. Either way, both can be correct and if a car is going what it SHOULD be going, then fine because the masses will decide for themself.

Drag racing is an all out burst for say 10-15 seconds. It is hard on everything. When I build something I can't abuse it drag racing. I am a top end guy. I tried 4.10 gears once and it would smoke the tires all the way through 1st and 2nd the half way through 3rd. What was the point? Those gears were out in a couple weeks. I started down the drag race road and decided it was not for me. Went with friends a couple times a month, rebuilt carbs, dialed them in, tuned them up, fixed broken parts. Jeff had a "68" 440 Plymouth wagon that would run 9.4's in the quarter, he needed no help. Rick had a "68" 396 4 speed Chevelle, I wont tell you what his times were,but they were real slow. Ron had a "71" 340 4 speed daily driver Duster that would break into the 13's, I eventually bought it. George had the "68" 383 Road Runner that ran 13.0's, he needed no help. My cars were daily drivers and never had much money till later in life. But they were fast enough to have some really great memories and stories. The "64" Barracuda was wound up to 140 mph once a month when I lived in South Dakota, what a rush.

LOL... I'll run those numbers with the factory 360 dished pistons and smog heads. In fact, I was 13.9's at 3450 (3650 at the line) with 2.45's, no headers and the dished piston 360. Again, just trying to see how 66fs did his measuring to basically dog the 360 as such an underperformer. Not challenge him, just understand him.

OK. On a small block 360. I am not really down on them. I built more than a few really good ones for other people, but they are not the be all, end all. If you have one, they are a good starting point. Nothing wrong with them. I personally do not like the external balance, cast crank, and the pistons way down in the hole. You can make any MOPAR small block fast, not just a 360. I always ask what someone has on hand to start with. Everything has pluses and minuses as well as intended usage. As you know, even bodies make a difference on what I would choose. I have had 2 Barracudas for 40-50 years, one an original "68" 383 727 car and the "64" 273 4 speed car. I had another friend that ran the only MOPAR on a dirt track. He ran a 318 and was the fastest car on the track. I knew enough about the car and the 318 was not that special. I grew up with high and low compression 340's. I still have them, would you swap a 71 340 for a 74 HP 360? At 19, I rebuilt the 273 in my 64 Barracuda with it's forged steel crankshaft and TRW forged pistons. It went on to be a test mule for every conceivable mod I could lay my hands on, including things people said I could not do. In the beginning that thing was fast, in the end it was really fast. And that was through early A exhaust manifolds. If I can do it with a 273, it can be done on any small block. Big blocks have so much potential they are in another league for me, it is so easy to make good power with simple mods. You can only use so much power on the street, and I'm just not that into stop light to stop light. I'm more into can you keep up and sustain it.

-
Back