360 will not start, any suggestions?

-
I ran into something similar. I had fuel and spark. The starter turned the engine over but the engine didn't run. I had my brother turn over the engine with the starter as I rotated the distributor back and forth. The timing was retarded too much and as soon as I advanced it I could hear the engine start to run. It is amazing how much a little turn can effect it.

just because the ECU goes bad doesn't mean you have to change to an HEI setup. thats alot of wiring for nothing

simple replace the ECU box and done deal if thats the problem. I can't stand people saying mopar ignitions are junk, but truth be told most ECU boxes are 30+ years old and still running the vehicle!

Can anyone school me on exactly what the ECU does?

It basically switches the coil on/ off and replaces the breaker points in older cars. It also contains a capacitor just like the old points distributors did, only we called them "condensers"

The trigger wheel and pickup in the distributor generates small tiny voltage spikes, which trigger the box from "normally on" to OFF and the OFF cycle is actually what generates the spark in the coil.

You seem to HAVE spark, but please read my earlier post on "just how good" and "what time" the spark is happening.

I'll be at it tomorrow, so I'll give some of those things a try. I'll be there alone, so I won't have anyone to bump the engine for me, but I may just put a screwdriver across the starter relay to ignore the key.

OK when you jumper the starter relay, you don't get full 12V to the coil for start. This is because the brown wire/ bypass circuit comes FROM the ign switch

So what you need to do in this case is get/ make up a nice big, long clip lead, and when checking spark, or trying to fire the engine, hook your jumper up from the battery (starter relay big stud) and to the coil + terminal. Don't leave this on there long than it takes to fire and start the engine.

-
Back