360's,gears And Tires

-

mikesduster

Reaction score
im in the process of building a 360...nothing exotic,NON stroker 360

360,.040,stock crank/rods,11:1,@.550 solid,J-heads and a M-1....im wondering if my gearing will be TOO much for the 360??...right now the duster has 28x11.5 QTP's and 4:56's

i DO need new tires and IF its too much gear,i can go 29"??

I think the 29's should fit if your using SS springs. I been debating what set of tires to get myself. I'm runnin 4.11's behind a 360/904 setup.

Those springs still bent and broken Mike? Might be time to replace them with anything else...lol. Drop the gear to 4.10s. I think you've heard that before too...lol.

YEP!!!!...still bent!!!! :headbang:

that IS on the "THINGS TO DO LIST"!!!

but i was running a 340 before,NOW a 360!!!!(well sort of) :love4:

I don't think 4.56 is too much gear for a 360 stroke, depends on the cam and what you expect out of the car.

Mike if ya got it I would try it. I have 4.30's in my 63 with the 440 and 28 x 9 slicks I have around. I used them last weekend and they only ran the 1/8 mile so they worked fine. But if the car runs out of the power band before the traps in the 1/4 I can always get a taller tire later. Ron

LOL, no but neither of us will ever get our cars done and on the track.

Well, that makes 3 with me...lol. So I guess, as far as we're concerned, we can buy anything at any time...lol.

AdamR said:
LOL, no but neither of us will ever get our cars done and on the track.

hey adam,

but im closer then you are!!!! :headbang: ....hey,you have a motor with no car and i have a car with no motor..we should join forces and BEAT THEM ALL!!!! :shaking2:

I have a car and a motor now. Let me have your 8-3/4 and your hood.

mikesduster said:
im in the process of building a 360...nothing exotic,NON stroker 360

360,.040,stock crank/rods,11:1,@.550 solid,J-heads and a M-1....im wondering if my gearing will be TOO much for the 360??...right now the duster has 28x11.5 QTP's and 4:56's

i DO need new tires and IF its too much gear,i can go 29"??

I ran an off the shelf 360/380 HP crate motor in a '67 Coronet Wagon. Low gear 904, 9.5 Dynamic converter, 4.56's and a 9x30 tire. I shifted at 5500 and cruised through the traps at 5500. Would run 12.50's all day.
Hope this helps.

I'd run a set of 4.10s and see what she traps at. I'll also be interested in how that convertor behaves now.

Sure..They're in the Dana 60 behind my Cuda..Feel free to come and get them ;). The 8 3/4 4.10s are happy IN the Cuda. I may have a set of used 4.10s tho. Like a ring and pinion in a box.

i THOUGHT you had 4:30's in the cuda??? :scratch:

you have an extra chuck lying around??...if i can get some money up after my motor is done,ill get the kit and have you put them together....dick might have a extra chuck too.

pete has 4:10's that he's NOT useing!!! :lurk:

Pete's using his..They are keeping the oil in the rear end. Otherwise that oil would be all over the storage place...

I lent my 4.30s to Steve Cat. in Hebron. I suppose I'll see them sometime next summer...lol.

Cuda has 4.10s with about 10 miles and 8 passes on them...

I have 2 742 cores. These gears are 489s. So I'd have to find another case (I just grabbed Sean's last one for a customer), then find a Grip for them. If you find a core 489, and get the bearings, I'll toss it together for you. The gears are free to you if you find a core.

-
Back