37 hours shop time?

-

Hambony58

Reaction score
I have always avoided working on electrical issues( troubleshooting) but as a low level home mechanic can I R&R the wiring harnesses (all) on my 70 dart? Car is resto mod w/ crate motor. Mechanic recommended this as the one thing he would do to car but is ballparking lobor at around 4K! l could do this a section at a time as the car is running now. He said it's a *****, they do more GM and fords than Mopar's.

yes you sure can, the only tough one is the dash harness but those are usually still in good shape. Engine harness is an easy swap ... $4k is ridiculous, maybe on a newer car which can be nightmares but these old ones are simple.

I have always avoided working on electrical issues( troubleshooting) but as a low level home mechanic can I R&R the wiring harnesses (all) on my 70 dart? Car is resto mod w/ crate motor. Mechanic recommended this as the one thing he would do to car but is ballparking lobor at around 4K! l could do this a section at a time as the car is running now. He said it's a *****, they do more GM and fords than Mopar's.

You can replace the entire harness with a high quality stock one from Year One for around a +-grand.

I'm in San Jose too, if you need to see some examples of wiring reworks using the stock harnesses and a few add on's inspired by Mad Electric, let me know. I can help you get through it. It's not as complicated as many think, but then many don't know how to do that these days. They have some good ways to upgrade the factory wiring to support heavier electrical loads and fix a factory Amp Guage/firewall issue.

remember I am old , poorish, ( ok poor enough), a tightwad....... IF you take it to an auto electrical shop, they should be well versed in all things auto electric..even MOAR! take it to a general mechanic, and say Mopar, and if they going to a rage about how mopar electricals is screwed up, be for warned! look elsewhere??

OK I see you are in the wonderful state of Ca. but $4000!, what the heck are the gong to do, rewire it totally from scratch!????? do yo have an more info as to what the wiring consists of? 45 yr old oem harnesses? all cut up? just old? aftermarket plug and play? what are the electrical issues?
I feel for you as I am NOT auto electrical "blessed"! I am NO help! but you can buy, download a FSM and study the wiring and see how things work. and read many pages of troubleshooting or well versed members have helped thousands with their electrical problems.

I bought a car last year, a true survivor from a kid ( mid late 20's), a had been sitting a few years... his daily driver. he had taken it to a shop to have the wiring problems "fixed", he paid them $1200-1800 he said ( I believe him) to "fix" it> it runs fine, but they did not even attempt to get the heater fan to work! they added an electric fuel pump because the carb needed cleaning/kit. replaced the ballast. new plug wires, plugs, cap/rotor.... wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
like said above, don't short yourself,,, you can do this!! so it can take a little time......

Yes you can. After adding newer model harness to get EFI to a 82 Mustang GT and an 89 Fiesta, Mopars are a cake walk.

Even if your Dart has every option known in the Mopar world it still is easy as plug and play.As said above you can get complete new harnesses.That way you don't have to mess with generic wiring such as Painless and others. Around these parts Shops charge $110 to $125 a hour now. At $125 that's still 32 hours.I guess they are including the Parts, time they spend taking breaks, talking on a cell phone, along with time in the john.
I bet you can do it. Get in trouble? There are plenty of us to guide you along.

It takes trainees a lot longer to do that type of work than an experienced journeyman.
Seems everywhere I go anymore all I get is the newest guy hired----------
Hope I don't need a proctologist or a cardiovascular surgeon.

it really depends on how bad the current wiring harness is.. some are bad enough that they are beyond being R&Red, you pretty much have to gut it and start over anyway. I am also thinking that because you have an engine swap car, you're probably going to be better off installing a newer harness.. modern fuses and all that happiness. With that said, do some home work - learn as much as you can about wiring basics and then decide if it is something you still want to tackle. IF you decide yes - - I recommend this EZ Wiring E-Store - EZ Wiring Harness Kits
4 grand is OUT OF HAND - I talked to a local guy some years ago about the EZ harness I was installing and he said $1300 - and I remember thinking "uh, no"

If I were you are not adding a giant stereo, navigation, microwave, lasers, and 65" plasma tv, buy direct replacement harnesses and replace them as you remove them. Don't pull all the harnesses then try to install the new. Use how they are mounted at a guide to R&R them as you go. If you get into trouble, stop, take pictures, and post here.

I live in Ohio and I could fly to San Jose remove and install it check to make sure it works and fly home for 4 Grand!

A wiring diagram helps , just in case. As mentioned, its alot easier than some of the newer vehicles.

I bought a m and h harness through year one. Under dash harness if you will for a 73 duster. Nothing but plug and play and should be same for you.

Guy's a thief. Run the other way.

Unless you have burned wire's, or a bunch of shadetree splices, about the only "R&R" you need to do is remove any corrosion on your connectors and check continuity.

Engine harnesses and forward lighting harnesses tend to get crispy over 40 years, those may be due for replacement.
Rear lighting and dome light to a much lesser extent, but depends on the weather in your trunk, mostly.

Under dash harnesses are bound to get hacked on installing aftermarket guages, and may have issues with bulkhead and column connections, along with ammeter maladies.

You can bypass an ammeter without pulling anything out of the dash, simply move both connectors to one post. Adding a wire around for the alternator is pretty simple, and cleaning up connectors can be as easy as mixing common kitchen ingredients.

Used dash harneses.in good shape are still out there, NO WAY would I pay $800 for a new one, nor 3K to anybody to "R&R" some wiring.

If you know your wiring has real problems, get to reading, anything you need to know will be found or referenced on this site.

Don't get too caught up with the "MAD" bypass stuff, search FLEET bypass and read posts by crackedback, 67Dart273 and others.

Good luck!

-
Back