380hp magnum crate engine build questions

-

maca

Reaction score
Hey guys
Does anyone know what goes into the 380 magnum crate engine?
I read it is a stock magnum short block with different heads, cam and intake. Is this correct?
I was told (the 380 HP Magnum Crate was 230/234 ( i think) at .501 lift with a single plane intake M1)
Does anyone know where I can find a list of parts that make this engine up?
And any videos of one running so I can hear the idle to see how friendly it is
cheers Maca
Also where would you buy one if I didn't want to build my own? and how much are they?

thanks will have a read
Looks like to get power out of a magnum they put in a cam, EQ heads and carby/manifold

The heads used in both are stock magnum pieces.
If you use an aftermarket head like Edelbrock, EQ or Indy, you will get closer to 450 hp.
The short block is basically a 5.9 with larger cam and double roller timing set.
They will make the same HP with properly equipped FI or carb.
Last time I checked, a 300 hp long block was in the neighborhood of $3800-$4000 US.
A 380 hp was closer to $6000. Not sure that they are available anymore but havent tried to order one for a long time.
Stock 5.9 short block for $500 is a bit more affordable to our customers.

We just built a customer supplied 5.9 short block for approx $2200 in parts. If you add nice valve covers, edelbrock/hughes intake and car pan it comes to about $3300. Close enough to half price for our customer.

EQ stage 2 heads
reground roller cam
double roller timing set
Complete gaskets
1.65 stainless rockers, pushrods and guide/stud kit

add
PRW fabricated valve covers
hughes FI Airgap
Kevco Pan

thanks will have a read
Looks like to get power out of a magnum they put in a cam, EQ heads and carby/manifold

That's basically all you need on a good engine. If you can start with a good used engine that is. The Above example used an aftermarket piston for a slight increase in compression. In IQ52's build it ended at 9.3-1, a .03 raise in the listed ratio. Actual I do not know. The create engines are said to be a 9.0-1.

Magnummopar, have you done an actual measuring and calculate the ratio on a stock Magnum?

That's all we did in high school was are parts to the car. At the time, it was possible to still find a solid running engine in a old car.

Magnummopar, have you done an actual measuring and calculate the ratio on a stock Magnum?

I recently checked my 360/300HP crate motor (basicly stock OEM Magnum)
Pistons were .053 below deck, used published 11cc as the dish cc, 62cc head chamber, .040 compressed OEM head gasket = 8.8:1
I cut the heads .010 and used Mr Gasket .028 gaskets to get 9.3:1

The 300 hp is a dead stock long block with a dual plane 4bbl intake
And the 380 hp is cam and single plane intake some say it's got different pistons.

Thanks for the info guys and the prices moparmagnum. I sent you a PM
During my last build I used the magnum swap site and it said I could use the magnum one piece sump gasket with the LA pan as long as I was using the magnum timing case. I did that and it leaked like a waterfall so I didn't bother following that site anymore. I will check it out again as it may have more good info and maybe the pan gasket was the only bad bit of info and the rest is fine.
I am considering more and more getting the machine work done in the US before I ship it. Looking around for prices a bit at the moment to see if I should wait until it gets here or get it done there.

Thanks for the info guys and the prices moparmagnum. I sent you a PM
During my last build I used the magnum swap site and it said I could use the magnum one piece sump gasket with the LA pan as long as I was using the magnum timing case. I did that and it leaked like a waterfall so I didn't bother following that site anymore. I will check it out again as it may have more good info and maybe the pan gasket was the only bad bit of info and the rest is fine.
I am considering more and more getting the machine work done in the US before I ship it. Looking around for prices a bit at the moment to see if I should wait until it gets here or get it done there.

That's LXguy's website,all of his info got my 5.9'Magnum running. As for machine work being done here,that's a great idea. Costs the same to ship the product, good labor has to be cheaper here. What part of the states,you in? Maybe we can recommend ,a few shop options.. ..

I land in LA and there for 4 days.
Then to San Francisco for a spell.
Then to Las Vegas
Then to new York for 1 week and Washington
Thanks for the help

That's basically all you need on a good engine. If you can start with a good used engine that is. The Above example used an aftermarket piston for a slight increase in compression. In IQ52's build it ended at 9.3-1, a .03 raise in the listed ratio. Actual I do not know. The create engines are said to be a 9.0-1.

That's all we did in high school was are parts to the car. At the time, it was possible to still find a solid running engine in a old car.

I have never measured a used piston in a 5.9 but have measured a "factory replacment" new piston a 11. cc , given the factory gasket of .040", factory heads and typical .040-.050" in the hole, without splitting hairs 8.9-9.1. The FSM claims 9.1 on 5.9's and 9.0 on 5.2's but we have already been down that road.

I have never known magnumswap to give out bad info, everything I have seen there was 100%. Perhaps it was your particular pan or ....so may variables.

I like this build to me this how street power should be made smaller cam with good flowing heads similar to the new Hemi's and LS engines only problem with that it's so tempting to run larger cam cause so much power potential left unused.

Agreed,273.. Considered the price of petroleum/fuel overseas...In his time work frame, he has decision s,to make.

I like this build to me this how street power should be made smaller cam with good flowing heads similar to the new Hemi's and LS engines only problem with that it's so tempting to run larger cam cause so much power potential left unused.

That is a very similar built to what we put in our wrangler swap. We have a roller that is .520" lift and it works really well. Tons of torque and still get good MPG. EQ heads , stock 5.9 SB, cam and larger throttle body makes for a quick TJ. Its also a great start for a street rod, but like you said, its hard not to go for .570" lift:burnout:

.520 lift on stock Magnum heads is OK?
I did read EQ heads. Do you know there lift limit?

.520 lift on stock Magnum heads is OK?
I did read EQ heads. Do you know there lift limit?

I have seen people run .550" on Magnum R/T heads.
EQ should not have any problems with lift that any other aftermarket head doesnt have. I have seen lift in excess of .600" with EQ heads as well as Edelbrocks.

Well I have landed in LA
I am here. A few days to work out the body clock and get a sim card and I will be on to looking for an engine

During my last build I used the magnum swap site and it said I could use the magnum one piece sump gasket with the LA pan as long as I was using the magnum timing case.

The website says you can use the LA pan and the LA timing cover with the one piece gasket, provided you cut the half-loop out of the front and use the one that comes with the LA timing cover gasket set. This makes it not a one piece gasket, of course, but it doesn't leak if you use a little silicone. Way better than the four piece gasket sets.

An LA 360 pan is a direct replacement for a Magnum pan-at least as far as the gasket rail goes. If you're using the Magnum timing cover, the one piece gasket should work no problem. That's what you would use with a Magnum engine....I've done it myself. If yours leaked there was a problem with either the pan or the gasket.

EQ should not have any problems with lift that any other aftermarket head doesnt have. I have seen lift in excess of .600" with EQ heads as well as Edelbrocks.

Thank you. Stock head lift limits?

Yes I think your right. Maybe there is an issue with my pan as it also didn't compress the rear magnum seal enough and leaked from there too. I would be happy to try again but only with a new sump.
I tried to set up a .603 lift solid roller cam with my magnum heads once but it was too high. I did get it to work with magnum edelbrock heads but had to run a thick head gasket. From memory the head gasket was .080
I ran this solid cam with the edelbrock heads and stock magnum bottom end with 8lbs of boost from a vortech. Made 430rwhp

Thank you. Stock head lift limits?

just wanna jump on that train... as i just got an offer for a cam with .540 lift, and try to figure out whether it would gonna work or not

just wanna jump on that train... as i just got an offer for a cam with .540 lift, and try to figure out whether it would gonna work or not

Hello ,again.. Tried a Howard's hyd roller(.519" .525" on a 1.5 rocker ratio.. PAY ATTENTION TO THIS?!?!?!?!) for an LA mill,on the stock 1.6 Magnum rockers (not enough clearance with Hughes 1110 spring setup) Went to the Crane Cams1.5 ratio Chevrolet setup....Save money,give Oregon cams a call ,on a regrind..Posted it in another post,giv 'em a call....

-
Back