383-400 starter replacement

-

68383GTS

Reaction score
I am tossing around dropping my 383 into my Duster this winter.What is the best or should I say the easiest way to replace a mini starter in an A body with long tube headers.Oh and I will be running a 727.
Also I have a Mopar Performance mini starter, how long do they usally last?

Thanks,Jim

Putting together my 68 Valiant, the starter install was a bear. I have a 383 block, 727, TTI headers, and mini starter. If I remember, I had to install the starter with the header in place but not bolted to the head. It was kind of a puzzle where either one would not bolt up first, you had to hold up and support the header while snaking the starter in place. I also remember having a bit of trouble with the battery stud on the starter being very close to the block. I had to locate the offset adapter for the cable and solenoid wire, and modify it quite a bit to do any good. For sure I would go with new components so your not doing it again for some time.

I am guessing you have to pull the header loose,pull out the torsion bar maybe,and then pull the tranny.

the starter install was a bear.

I had to install the starter with the header in place but not bolted to the head. .

yes, exactly.

One thing I'd add is put quick connects on your starter so you don't have to wire it in place.

smart idea..Do you have a source for the starter wire quick disconnects? Summit maybe? I will be installing the engine from the bottom so the install will not be too bad.It's just down the road starter replacement will be a royal pain...

-
Back