383 in '75 Duster

-

cuda_cowboy

Reaction score
I found a great deal on a '70 383 and was thinking about picking it up for my Duster. Having a bit of a dilemma though. I really don't want to cut it up too much as it is a factory s-code #'s matching 360 car. With the Schumacher mounts are there any modifications that would make it so I couldn't swap the factory LA back in should the time come? Also I have seen many opinions on different manufacturers of adaptors, any recomendations?

Just planning on a mostly stock 383HP a bit more of a cam than stock but nothing too radical and using stock HP manifolds, I'm going for the "what if" factory look. I do have power steering and manual brakes. I have seen some conflicting info regarding using manifolds with PS. I have the 8 3/4 with 489 case and 3.08's so I think I would benifit from the added torque of the B-engine.

The swap kit has you cut the drivers side pearch down and redrilling a hole for the fail safe bolt. The company may still offer a back to small block mount.

I did this swap in my Magnum. With the engine getting tired, currently it would be easier for me to swing back in a small block. I called them up for the mount for going back to a small block and they had one for me. It's slightly taller than the OE SB mount.

If cuttting up the K frame for OE quality restoring later, get another K frame. An earlier one (70) can use a Trans Dapt kit which is alot cheaper.

Using the Schmacher mounts the piece that you'll cut out of the driver side mount is about the size of a quarter. Barely noticeable and is for clearance to one of the oil pump bolt heads.

Well I picked up two '70 383's today. $220 for the pair seemed reasonable. One is supposed to be out of a truck and has the front sump pan. the other is supposed to be out of a '70 charger and does have the center sump pan. Both have the stock dated 2bbl manifold and are complete. Going to start pulling one of these apart and see what I have to work with.

Sweeeeeeeeet, good luck, have fun, keep us updated! (With pictures of course...neeed eye candy...need eye candy....)

-
Back