383 in a 68 valiant200 swap help

-

gene mac

Reaction score
i need to find headers or block huggers who makes these besides tti an shummacher wont cut up car for fendwells to clean to butcher. also need info on 2 or 3 core aluminum radiators best construction fit perfomance any ins an outs u had with what ou used to creat a beast mines called frankenstien made from many old mopar parts an cars

You listed the best 2, TTI and Schumacher. Block hugger headers don't work on a-bodies. If budget is an issue, take some time, save some money and get good headers that fit.

x2 Commando 66 regarding headers . I am having cooling issues and have come to the conclusion that you can't overcool a motor . A 3 row rad with a good pump , shroud and fan , 160 * stat and 50/50 mix of distilled water and anti-freeze with water wetter . Flush system every fall before putup

Hedman 78030 fits if you don't have power steering and you don't mind a few dents in the driver side header.

image.jpg
I am currently gathering parts to do the 383 swap into this 67. I am going to try the headman headers after cutting back the steering column and changing to a flaming river universal steering joint. I am using the Schumacher six-cylinder crossmember mounts. I may start a build thread to share my challenges and difficulties.

With Hedman headers make sure the starter is in good shape because once the driver side header is in you're not getting the starter out without either loosening the header or pulling the transmission.

image.jpg
Thanks for the heads up on that. What about the mini starters and the McRobb performance unit.

Some mini-starters fit better than others. The RobbMc unit, although expensive, is "clockable" to whatever position you need. I had to make a dent in one tube to clear the motor on my generic (440source) mini. For the price of the Hedmans ($200 new) vs. true A-body headers I was willing to experiment a bit!

-
Back