383 on ABody BB KFRAME?

-

UPSTATE340

Reaction score
I have a 1969 Dart GTS 383 with the original KFrame and motor mounts. The engine I have that runs is a 1969 B Body HP 383.

What motor mounts are available for this application?

Thanks in advance!

If I understand correctly, I think Schumacher has motor mounts, both original style and for conversions.
If I recall correctly, the engine needs to have certain bolt holes drilled/tapped.

Some 69 blocks have the bosses drilled and tapped as I understand it. If the bosses are there drill and tap them, but I would have somebody measure the depth and use a drill stop.

Sounds good. I'm not positive if the bosses are there, but for some reason I think they are and they are already drilled and tapped.

If they aren't, is there an alternative way to get a B-Body 383 on an ABody BB Kframe

I picked up a big block factory K-frame years ago hoping to do a swap. With the info I was told it discouraged me and I never went through with it. I heard that A-body big block carss used the C-body blocks that took a different driver side engine mount. I've never seen a C-body block so can't confirm this. Maybe someone out there will have some experience on this. I looked at all my big blocks and all of them has the bosses/tabs and are drilled.

BTW, original Hemi blocks do not have holes drilled on the block bosses/tabs for the engine brackets. I just looked at my block and the engine mounts bolt directly to the side of the block. Interesting.

If your block has the two bosses drilled and tapped they are ready to go on the original big block k-member, but you need the correct brackets.

Hemi blocks had the mounts bolt directly to the side for manifold clearance (as I understand it).

some c-body drivers mounts are the same, mid 60's i believe. also somebody is re-poping them i've been told

There`s a new left bracket that`s been fabricated that looks just like the original (bolts partially to the front of the engine) but allows you to use a standard "sandwich" engine mount instead of the obsolete original. I found this on Schumacher`s website.

OA65CBRB_Bracket.gif

65c-6769abosses.jpg

c65bl_installed.jpg

I am not an expert on this, but I have no idea why Chrysler would have made a different motor mount for the M-code barracudas and darts. I put a 440+6 in my 383-S fastback and used the original 383 mount. I really doubt they are different.

The block I picked up does not have the holes, but it has the bosses. It's a 69 383 from (presumably) a road runner. Think the machine shop that does the hot-tank and cylinder boring will be able to drill and tap the holes? Still trying to figure out exactly how deep they should be and what bolt size/thread to tap.

I am not an expert on this, but I have no idea why Chrysler would have made a different motor mount for the M-code barracudas and darts. I put a 440+6 in my 383-S fastback and used the original 383 mount. I really doubt they are different.

We have two 440s, one 69 block and one 70. Neither has the bosses so I would suspect that's why they needed a different mount.

We have two 440s, one 69 block and one 70. Neither has the bosses so I would suspect that's why they needed a different mount.

I have a 70 block in my car and it had the bosses but they weren`t drilled. Is there an "M code" specific motor mount?

Yes, there is a 440 M-code specific motor mount. Are you sure you have a 70 block in your car? My sons 1970 440 (Feb 10, 1970 build date, late 69 casting date) and my 69 440 (I don't remember the date codes) doesn't have the bosses.

Yeah, it`s an "F" HP 440 engine, identified on the block by the distributor. It has the bosses on it but they weren`t drilled. I drilled and tapped them myself. From what I`ve gathered, the bosses are there for cars that used a certain power steering pump and that`s where the brackets were attached. (?) Do you have a picture of the M code mount that you could post?

No picture of the mount, but here's a block with bolts in the location of the mount. It also clearly shows no bosses.

M-code engine.jpg

No picture of the mount, but here's a block with bolts in the location of the mount. It also clearly shows no bosses.

Yeah, I believe some have them and some don`t. The bolts going into the front of the pump bosses are an interesting feature.

I'm guessing that 440 is going into your 67 ragtop fish car.

Nope, not that one. I stole that pic from somebody else. With the Direct Connection k-member any 440 block will fit. Mine is hiding under a trash bag waiting for me to get paint on the car. I still need to pull the door glass and then the doors so that I can sand in there....... It's back in the garage (not enough room to work in there as the GTS is beside it) while we finish up a 318 Magnum swap into an 84 Ramcharger.........

Here is a pic of my 383 GTS mount as I was putting everything back in the car. The engine in the pic is not my original. It shows you what they looked like on an original 69 car.

-Dave
db_20060513_Pics__94_1.jpg

The holes should be 3/8 thread and 1 1/8 inch deep.I measured this off a original block when I needed to drill mine.I only went 1 inch deep in mine instead of 1 1/8 just to be safe.I did not want to drill to deep LOL

Jim

At what point did Chrysler stop putting the bosses on the 383s?
Also, my 383 is an original 67 block, and it does not have the mount in the square below. It was not cut off, it was cast that way.
What's up with that?

db_20060513_Pics__94_1.jpg

The boss you have the square around is usually cut off or cast without them on the original 383 A-Body blocks.

The block in my picture is not my factory block. No need to cut it off on my car as it still fits just fine with it in place.

Right now I have the 69 HP block you see in the picture above, a 69 HP block from a Super Bee, a 67 Block, and two 70's 400 blocks, all of them have the bosses on them.

It was hit or miss I guess. I have not found any pattern to determine which ones had them.

I can tell you that I pulled some parts from a 70's C-Body one time and it had the bosses, and they were being used to mount the power steering pump. I was surprised to see that.

-Dave

-
Back