383 or 318

-
I hear very crunchy earth pounding heavy metal myself.
Well since I've been playing guitar about 40 years, and played with 2 signed bands, I have to say yes, Earth Churning, Ground Burning, Skull Splitting, Speed and Thrash Metal from St Michael, The Avenging Angel!!!!!!! when I was a kid running around in that big block Coronet, with that 4 speed, when the RPMs would change, so would the music in my head.......

383 for sure. More used parts out there than you can shake a stick at. Then, tear *** and increase power as you get stuff. easy! Good luck. 400 would be awsome too, maybe an easier find i'd say.

Plus 17 more CI. Don't worry about the comp. with the correct cam. I run a 400/513. See, it's easy.

My vote is 383, but I may have a slight bias.

A2652B4A-27E0-4928-9A2F-F720BE8D806C.jpeg

For performance i would say the 383. My valiant with a 383 is a blast to drive. I am looking into new wider and better tires right now because it loves to break the tires loose.

Hi Tim! Love your YouTube channel!
Lets see, where to start.. Yes, i want performance, (bolt on if possible) Not really looking to send out the blocks to enlarge cylinders, basic honing /resurfacing if needed. Street cam, for sure, maybe bolt on heads if the budget allows. Dont care about gas mileage, otherwise id keep the slant. I want to take it to the strip but cruise it on the street. I plan on putting a narrowed 8.8 rear end or 8 3/4. disc brakes in front /rear. I want it to be a driver on the street but fun on the strip. If its possible to do power steering with a 383, then ill go that route. Manual steering is fine as well, not a deal breaker i guess?
Remember that the 383 is at least 52 years old, I can't see it not having to be bored unless it was rebuilt in the past and has been taken care of and has low mileage. Cam, 4 barrel, cylinder head work or aftermarket heads, the 383 will not get any benefits of these modifications if it has low compression due to excessive cylinder bore taper. If it has a ridge at the top of the bore chances are good that it will need to be bored. Not trying to be negative, just hate to see you put it together and then be disappointed in its performance.

A mild big block in an a body is a tire smoldering machine .
Just built to 68 Magnum Specs, would be cool.... now add some porting to the 906s , a .474 Street Hemi grind cam, Headers, 2.5" exhaust, 750 Holley, some 3.91s. Electric ign, and a single plane divorced intake? Along with some good Fasteners, high volume pump, a good baffled pan with w/a Windage tray......

Last edited:
That's not what car show people casually walking by say
I think it was a joke on the big block cylinder head. Otherwise, at most every show I attended with the car, I’d have to say 90% of the people that stop and chat are talking **** out there ***, it’s near endless. I just smile and not engage them very well. I just make corrections about my car and tell them about it if asked.

Nice resto Mister. Me - It’s not a resto but thank you

I had a ….( insert something ridiculous here that could never be)

Me - That’s awesome sir, glad to hear it. (ignore them)

I had a dual quad 318 pull the wheels off the ground a good 2-1/2 feet for the first 60’ all the time back in the day! Let me tell you a story…

Me- no thanks, your full of ****, please move away from me
(Ignore them…)

I had a super HEMI dual overhead quasi-moto mushroom roller bearing cam w/a supercharged displacing 563 cubic inches running 4’s in the 1/4 back in the 50’s on AV fuel that the nest used. Amazing who the drum brakes worked so well. That old Savoy station wagon would really move out! Let me tell you a story…

Me - No thanks, I’m loaded with BS stories today.
(Ignore!)

@Dan the man
Remember that the 383 is at least 52 years old, I can't see it not having to be bored unless it was rebuilt in the past and has been taken care of and has low mileage. Cam, 4 barrel, cylinder head work or aftermarket heads, the 383 will not get any benefits of these modifications if it has low compression due to excessive cylinder bore taper. If it has a ridge at the top of the bore chances are good that it will need to be bored. Not trying to be negative, just hate to see you put it together and then be disappointed in its performance.

Dan, I think your casting a black cloud on a issue that is a known and a given.

a [email protected] x 3.375, dimensionally, is just a big bore 318(3.91 x 3.315); but carrying a bit of extra weight.
You can make your 318 into a 390 pretty easy and cheeply, and only you will know it. The extra torque at low rpm will be well worth it. Put some alloy heads on it and crank up the pressure, and you'll forget all about the 383.

Or leave the 318 at stock stroke, but install an A500/518 with overdrive and LU, and some 3.91s to 4.30s in the back...... which is what I would do......
Even if the 318 is a lo-compression oil-burning pig, those 4.30s are gonna level the playing field.
I can't believe all the 318haters coming out of the woodwork today.
lol.

a [email protected] x 3.375, dimensionally, is just a big bore 318(3.91 x 3.315); but carrying a bit of extra weight.
You can make your 318 into a 390 pretty easy and cheeply, and only you will know it. The extra torque at low rpm will be well worth it. Put some alloy heads on it and crank up the pressure, and you'll forget all about the 383.
You could do all that stuff to a 383
Or leave the 318 at stock stroke, but install an A500/518 with overdrive and LU, and some 3.91s to 4.30s in the back...... which is what I would do......
Even if the 318 is a lo-compression oil-burning pig, those 4.30s are gonna level the playing field.
Lol, 360 over 318 but 318 over 383, how does that make sense?
lol.
if the choice was 318 or 360 everyone would say 360, it's usually when 318 comes up engine displacement choice has been made, the question is usually what to do with a 318.

I'm pretty sure 318willrun is a fan of 318's ?
Yet he chose 383, just like most everyone else.
It did not say stroker.
But hey you can make a 499 cubic inch 383 .

lol.
I’m surprised to see that written down.
I don’t know why you’re surprised being a 318 hater yourself.
You never stop grinding a 318 under heels ever!
What gives hater?

-
Back