383 or 440 in Cuda

-

tooslow

Reaction score
I have a 318 67 notchback Cuda that I was planning on putting a 383 in with a 6 pack and 727 trans. But I have a built 440 4 barrel ready to go, Carb to Pan. I never put a BB in an A body Cuda before but have the Shumacher kit
Questions:
1). 383 or 440 opinions
2). The 440 is wider, will it be much more difficult to install?

Thanks for ANY opinions

If the 440 is done, use that. Should be the same difficulty. Watch your pan clearance unless you have the big block pitman and idler arms.

if you already have the 383 6-pac you can use spacers to get it on the 440. the headers are a bit tighter with a 440 but like already said by 66fs everything else is nearly the same.

Great,
Since there is not much difference in difficulty then 440 it is
Thanks for your help

i have heard that the RB has few clearance problems and the B is a better fit everywhere but have no experience myself.

Either way-post pictures :)

Pretty sure I can safely say we all like big block Barracudas :)

The main differences will be header selection and hood clearance. Schumacher headers will work with either, others are B or RB specific. I am able to get away with the stock air cleaner on my B block.

Attachments

• IMG_4492.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 173
Also a 440 has at least 500 foot pounds of torque, compared with 400 foot pounds of torque for a 383. Parts start to break with sticky tires...

I have a stock six pack air cleaner on my 440 in my 69 383-s fastback. No problems. The schumacher headers fit nicely. You can put them in with the engine in place.
Rod

I have a stock six pack air cleaner on my 440 in my 69 383-s fastback. No problems. The schumacher headers fit nicely. You can put them in with the engine in place.
Rod

don`t use raised port heads, they create all the nightmares you read about
ask me how I know! but on the other hand they are very easy to get 40 to 60 more cfm out of.-bob

-
Back