383 Radiator and Fan

-

ricker4444

Some Day
Reaction score
Getting ready to install my rebuilt engine and I am having a hard time with the cooling system. My original radiator has a big crack in it and I am missing the fan and shroud. I thought I could just simply get an aftermarket radiator and buy the fan/shroud. Its like I opened up Pamdora's box. Apparently it was a one year fan design and the aftermarket radiators in the $300 range will not work with the old fan shrouds. I thought I could just simply by an after market fan but that too seems more complex than I thought. I was told not to go with the electric fans that you can get for the aftermarket radiators. Has anyone been down this road who can offer some insight?I attached some pictures that I found of the original fan for reference.

fan 3.jpg

fan 2.jpg

fan.jpg

The curled tip is the best blade profile chrysler ever produced for cooling. Have it on 4 out of 6 cars and they all run on the thermostat.

The 2863 224 fan is identical and probably easier to track down. Last one I bought took about a day on the WTB, on FBBO, to procure.

1969dartswingerweek6 178.JPG

Last edited:
The curled tip is the best blade profile chrysler ever produced for cooling. Have it on 4 out of 6 cars and they all run on the thermostat.

The 2863 224 fan is identical and probably easier to track down. Last one I bought took about a day on the WTB, on FBBO, to procure.

View attachment 1716211325

View attachment 1716211325

So, no problem with it bolting right on? I read something about different spacers for different years.

Blade "pitch" is still 2", identical to the one you show. I just measured one I have on the shelf that's destine for car #5 after I remove the clutch fan on it...

BTW.. 202 may actually be the assembly part #. All the ones I have, have 224 stamped on EVERY blade, so possible that's just the blade number to make an assembly, but everyone refers to them as the "224" fan.

Factory spacer on a big block A-Body is .70 inches. That is with a factory style radiator and 614 fan shroud. As long as your fan is 3/4" back from the radiator it will work well even without a shroud...

In my 67 383 a-body, I have the factory bb radiator, Hayden 2947 low profile fan clutch, Derale 18" fan, 180 stat, no shroud, no room for a shroud really, zero temp issues.

Hayden clutch and the Derale fan are a great readily available combo.

What year car are you putting this in?

67 68 and 69 will all be ABOUT the same as to fit.

67 uses a different shroud than 68 69 but all V8 shrouds of the year are the same 273, 318, 340, 383

The 67 has a slightly different shape at the lower rad input tube and impossible to find.

The 68 69 are reproduced.

IMHO I would go for a OEM Copper brass big block rad and get the fan you showed.

I know of 2 BB darts, no shroud and they run fine in 90+ temps
My 273 same, no shroud and cools fine.

There are different lengths spacers. An ad for the rad and spacers will get you what you need

-
Back