383 Stroker

-

gforce

Big Block Greek
Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first time to the Forums,
I Live in Australia, im currently buying a 1969 Valiant Pacer (Dodge Dart) and I am building a stout engine for it.

My Questions are as follows:
Ive got a 383 Block with Shaved and Recut Chev Pistons, Standard LY Rods and an Unknown Crank (Soon will FInd Out).

I would like to know:

a) Can I get this engine to 500Cu.In or is 484 the Max?
b) Are these Engines good or should I Fork out the dough on a 440 Six Pack from the States?
c) Is it wise to run Open Chamber 440 heads with 98 Octane Unleaded Fuel?

I would like to work with everything I have as Mopar good are hard to find in Australia for the Big Blocks. I can Make do without the Rods and Pistons.

My Current Idea is:
383 Block, Squared and decked, Bored .060, 440 Crank Machined to fit the Bearing Saddles and to clear the bores. 440 Six Pack Rods and Custom Pistons along with Open Chamber 440 Heads

Thanks in Advance for the responses
GFORCE

welcome!!!! :hello2:

if it were me,id use the 383 you have cuz you already have it...but id buy a stroker kit for it(if you have the money) and go to town!!!!

440source.com has the BEST prices around!!! :prayer:

well im only 18 and building my first engine, The work is going to be done by my mate and I, he used to own a performance shop that dealt with Chevys/Fords/Mopar 245-265HEMI's None of the American stuff,
I was wondering if I could get a 440 Steel Crank Reground to be 4.15 Inch Stroke? I can get my hands on some carillo rods if it is really necessary

They can be made bigger, but it is a waste of effort, and requires a big dollar crank. Not to mention the oil system mods, and really bad side loading of the pistons. Like they said, loose the six pac rods. They are way too heavy and no stronger than std LY 440 rods because of the rod bolts and the parting area of the rod and cap. You can offset grind a std 440 forged crank to 3.90". It requires using a chevy sized rod journal. As Mike said, 440source.com was working on a special rod made for this application. The rod needs to have a thicker big end than a chevy rod, to keep the side clearance reasonable (not in spec, but reasonable). I think they are available now..Go check the website. You will also need a special piston I think. The kit may be the best way, but I dont think the $1400 special will work in a 383. I'd get a 440 block. Any 440 block will work, dont pay more for a six pac or "HP" stamping. There is no difference, as long as it's not cracked, and can clean up at a +.030 overbore. A 400 would be my first choice for the 440 crank deal. A 440 block with the 440source kit can go 500+.

my block has been bored out to 4.360 to use the KB Pistons that were used in it. I was wondering what sort of heads i should use to maximise horsepower?

Im going to use 440 Crank, Scat 440 Rods, Ross 'B' Engine Pistons to suit block and stroke/rod

-
Back