383 true or false

-

stansblue72

one of one 1953 ME!
Legendary Member
Reaction score
A guy came into my office yesterday and seen a picture of my dart, tells me I need to put a 383 in it. Then he start telling me about a motor he had back in the 70's.
It was a 383TTA police interceptor only weighed 60 lbs. more then a 360 would out run any 440 on the road (and he did this all the time). He shifted at 12 grand.
He put it in a 65 cornet and had to fill the frame rails with concrete to get power to the black top. Blew up so many 8 3/4's that he had to buy a special made for racing rear end.

Oh I forgot about the tranny it was a muncie pro built automatic.

He got caught by a state patrolman doing 135 mph on the high way. The patrolman was so impressed with the 383 TTA police interceptor engine that he only wrote him a warning for a burnt out brake light.

Two weeks later he was rolling down the high way again and noticed in his mirror 12 state patrol cars following him with their lights flashing.

Luckly it was the same patrol man that let him go with the warning and all he wanted was to show all his buddies the fabulos 383TTA police interceptor engine.

I don't know about you guys but it sounds like a true story to me!!!!!

Quote: A guy came into my office yesterday and seen a picture of my dart, tells me I need to put a 383 in it. Then he start telling me about a motor he had back in the 70's.
It was a 383TTA police interceptor "Never heard of a TTA" only weighed 60 lbs. more then a 360 would out run any 440 on the road (and he did this all the time) "Sure with 2.94 gears". He shifted at 12 grand. B.S.
He put it in a 65 cornet and had to fill the frame rails with concrete to get power to the black top.More B.S. coronets were allready heavy cars Blew up so many 8 3/4's that he had to buy a special made for racing rear end.

Oh I forgot about the tranny it was a muncie pro built automatic.Yea right

He got caught by a state patrolman doing 135 mph on the high way. The patrolman was so impressed with the 383 TTA police interceptor engine that he only wrote him a warning for a burnt out brake light. He'd still be sitting in jail if that was the case.

Two weeks later he was rolling down the high way again and noticed in his mirror 12 state patrol cars following him with their lights flashing.They should call this guy the "story man"

Luckly it was the same patrol man that let him go with the warning and all he wanted was to show all his buddies the fabulos 383TTA police interceptor engine.

I'm glad he is so impressed with the awesome power of mopars but I'm lookin around for the B.S. Flag Ha Ha I found it!!! I try to keep it handy for occasions such as this Lol :cheers:

bs_flag.gif

Lots of "dubious" comments in his story. I think the 12k point is a dead giveaway
that he is at minimum exaggerating. 135mph is obtainable with any engine and the right gearing. I think you chalk it up to as a "fable" and tell it at parties and laugh with your friends.

Wow, pass the pipe, I want some of that stuff!!! First of all, this was before there was any notion of stroking a B motor, no big block will rev to anything near 12g, 383 police interceptor= 383 magnum approx. 360hp, maybe with a 2:76 gear he got near 135, but I doubt that his "cornet" was set up to attain this speed, the muncie would take some doing to mate to anything Mopar, (which again back then was not being done),and even the M-22 had a pretty low gearset and a 1:1 ratio in 4th, and the concrete in the framerails???, not even gonna go there!! Tell him to quit bogarting that pipe, there's gonna be quite a line to take a hit off of that baby!!! Let me guess, he never had to come up againt a 440 HEMI either!!! Thanks for the laugh, now back to reality, DARN!!! Geof

Oh, by the way, how do you round up 12 squad cars on duty to look at a guys motor????

Quote: Oh, by the way, how do you round up 12 squad cars on duty to look at a guys motor????

Tell them the viewing is in the parking lot of the local nudee bar.:snakeman:

Not the infamous 3/4 cam!!! Actually, there IS such a thing as a 3/4 racing cam, and although it is described in old school terms in a variety of different places, this term has basis in fact. I doubt that anyone using this term actually knows the real technical description of this claim, but real old schooler's know that it is indeed a factual statement, although long before the modern lift/duration specifics of todays modern grinds. If I can find the actual description of this term, I'll post it here. Good reading and quite a lesson for those using the term out of context. Geof

Yeah but guys he said it had the infamous 3/4 race cam in it!!!!!

Generic code speak for those whom don't know chit that it was a big lumpy cam that idled like chit.

He knows nothing, just yes him to death, wallk away.

Cosgig make s good point. But that was years back.

Aw hell, dawg, that's nothing. Back in the day, I had a '62 Dodge Baccaruda with the 440 Hemi Wedge and factory 4-on-the-tree. MAN that was a fast car! My '69 Dodge Duster wasn't quite as fast, it had the 383 max wedge in it with Positraction. :roll:

"3/4 cam" means you have a slant-6 engine, so the camshaft operates the valves for 3/4 the number of cylinders that would be present in a V8 engine.

:lol:

Let me show you how this works….

I was out on I5 this one time in my 340 Cuda. I wanted to see how fast it could go, the road was clear so I took it up to its 8,000 RMP red line and held it there

And just kept going…. I must have been doing over 200 mph because my 150 mph speedo pegged.

I past a cop but he was so far gone with me going so fast that I never saw him again…

I was really shocked at how well my old E70-14 tires did given that I did about 30 miles at well over 200 miles an hour. Those bias plies are great….You should get some.

Well…. I had to pee so pulled into a rest stop…..

When I came out this hot as hell 19 year old was leaning against my car.

She said that it made her so hot seeing me going that fast in an old muscle car that she had her boyfriend drop her off here and told him that I was going to be her new man.

Anyway…. I say "Cool Beans" babe…… Then we got in the car and drove off. It couldn't have been more that 2 miles before she started taking her panties and top off, next we……..

Then I remember this other time I was mowing the yard In nothing but rubber boots, a jock strap and a light coat of baby oil…. Well…. anyway…… I bent down to adjust the mower to a lower setting and space aliens started flying right out of my ***. It was crazy.

what did the tta stand for? lol

Close as I can figure, he was either referring to the 340 T/A motor, or the 440 TNT motor used in the 300 Hurst, or or the 600hp T&A motor that 1968formula was running when he picked up lil' miss at the rest stop. You know, the "stick" shifted one!!! "Just grab the handle here honey, and start yankin". Thanks for the laugh, this just keeps getting funnier and funnier. Geof

That sounds like a kid that I went to school with. Such a liar he was and you knew it. He claimed one time his transmission went through the hood of his big,bad 6 cylinder Mercury Monarch.

Ah, yes, I remember now, through the fog of time, when I was 15, I got my first car and it had the super rare "HEMI QUASIMOTO 4 valve head" You know the one with those wacked looking exhaust manifolds that crossed over to each side.
I was very surpprised to learn it had a roller cam and 1.8 rockers stock! What a great machine!

C'mon, guys, give him a break. I've had my 383 pushed well past 12 grand at about a 190mph plus in the old Sport Satellite. Didn't even have the ole 4bbls kicked in yet, and knew that she had more to give. Going so fast the nose was so far off the ground you could turn the steering wheel and the car kept goin' straight...yup, those were the days...goin' so fast I sheered the bolts off two of the center caps on the Magnums. Hit the brake, man, those manual drum binders can haul down a 3800# car in hurry from that speed, kicked the wheel hard over at a 160 and power slid across the dirt medium strip so hard that it must have looked like a train wrecked in there, and went back to get 'em. Those center caps hit the pavement so hard they were embedded in the black top! I couldn't get 'em out so my buddy and me, we just left 'em afore the cops showed up and wrote us a ticket for defacing public property.

Thanks Greendart! That story went great with my first beer of the evening. It actually went pretty quick 'cause half came out my nose when I read that post. :)

-
Back