3D Printers

-

STR-14

I put the hoar in hoarder
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone on here has used a 3d Printer to make a part for their car? Been reading up on them and they are actually affordable and you can make some pretty neat things with them. Do you have to buy some sort of program to supply the initial design?

You need a 3D scanner to create the image file of the part you are trying to reproduce. The printer can only work with the files it is given and in the case of reproductions, you have to scan the object to create a file you can use.

Last edited:
20181028_202136.jpg
My youngest son has one. He has made some cool things so far. We were talking today about getting a scanner to make it easier to reproduce parts. Luke has been modifying tool path to fit his needs and although he's self taught, he is getting close to measuring out a simple piece and creating a 3 dimensional instruction the printer to use. Most of the things would be obscure molding clips and the like. Like Ddaddy said, you have to have the software to tell the printer what to make.

My buddy is dabbling in it too.
He will spend thousands and then let it sit in the corner if he cant figure it out.
He is the master of unfinished projects. An overhead door that wont open because he didnt finish the install 10 years ago..12x12 of total unuseable door.

I have a small 3d printing business and have made a few parts for the duster. All 3d modeled in Autodesk inventor and made on one of my 8 3d printers.

If there's anything you're looking for, let me know.

View attachment 1715241547 My youngest son has one. He has made some cool things so far. We were talking today about getting a scanner to make it easier to reproduce parts. Luke has been modifying tool path to fit his needs and although he's self taught, he is getting close to measuring out a simple piece and creating a 3 dimensional instruction the printer to use. Most of the things would be obscure molding clips and the like. Like Ddaddy said, you have to have the software to tell the printer what to make.
Tool paths seem to be the choke of all of these computer controlled systems. Kudos to Luke.

-
Back