3D Printing a Center Console

-

KevinB

Reaction score
If you've been following my posts you've seen how I've started to incorporate 3D printing into my car 1966 Dart build. It started with a device to flip a stereo between a touchscreen and a Retrosound radio face. I've just started on my next adventure, which is the console. I've got my new printer on preorder, but it's a very fast printer so I should be able to turn out iterations pretty easily.

The idea is to print this thing according to the limits of my print volume, which is about 9.5" cubed. So this console will end up being probably 7-9 pieces. I will use registration pins to make sure the parts line up, dry fit them, and glue them when I'm satisfied. I'm going to let the design dictate materials, but will likely just be using a combination of leather and painting directly some surfaces.

Some of the features will include: 2 cupholders up front, 2 cupholders for the rear seats, a button for my stealth effects (like hiding the radio), a Lokar shifter with indicator, AC controls and 2 vents, arm rest with shallow storage area, hard wired remote for the radio, Holley sniper display, and possibly switches for windows and doors.

I'm still in the very early stages, so lots of this is still TBD, and this will be a long project, but consider this the home thread for it, and a starting point. Here's my very early basic, version, where I'm just sort of setting up the basic idea and laying out the components. In fact, one of the next things I need to look at is the available space between the shifter area and the start of the arm rest section...feels like its too long, and I may have measured something wrong.

Screen Shot 2022-10-12 at 7.45.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-12 at 7.45.16 PM.png

Next iteration...rebuilt it so that it's not in sections, each section fitting within the dimensions of my printer's build volume.

Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 12.43.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 12.43.06 PM.png

And now with some texture...black leather, silver paint...not shown currently is the hinged armrest, cutouts for the cupholders, ac/heater control panel, and switches and stereo remote

Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 12.52.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 12.52.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 12.54.23 PM.png

And some quick "fancy" renders with the strut pieces in gloss black

Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 1.00.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 1.00.40 PM.png

The new printer came finally! Doing a few test prints.

IMG_0516.jpeg

IMG_0517.jpeg

IMG_0518.jpeg

Last edited:
Fascinated with 3D printing. I will be getting one at some point, couple of projects I want to use it for.

Guy at work did a Mandalorian and a Boba Fett helmet for Halloween.

Can't wait until the cost of 3D metal printers comes down in price. :rofl:

Update: I have acquired a 3D scanner. This is the only way I can think of doing this, as well as the dash panel design and tail light printing without a thousand reprints. Will be switching to the dash panels and gauge cluster design next, then the console

This is cool stuff, Kevin. I've wanted to get a printer and scanner to 3D print stuff as well, but I don't think it will be any time soon. I watched a youtube video of printing a car wheel. I thought printing out "450" style rims but a little bigger would be great, as long as it looked pretty much the same as the original (just expanding the "flats" a little here and there). He uses a Creality CR10-S5 to print out a 19" wheel. Keep the pics coming!

This is cool stuff, Kevin. I've wanted to get a printer and scanner to 3D print stuff as well, but I don't think it will be any time soon. I watched a youtube video of printing a car wheel. I thought printing out "450" style rims but a little bigger would be great, as long as it looked pretty much the same as the original (just expanding the "flats" a little here and there). He uses a Creality CR10-S5 to print out a 19" wheel. Keep the pics coming!
I can't imagine printing a car wheel, that's nuts! Just from a strength perspective, 3d prints can never be as strong as something molded, or vacuum formed, or milled, its just not possible...but if he can make it work that's awesome

Wonder if a printed wheel would be cheaper to mock up backspacing than buying the wrong wheel and trying to sell it later. :D

I really like your creativity and the idea. But ......and this is just my personal opinion, that console looks too modern for a 66 model car. It should be more rounded. But whatever way you do it, I'm sure it'll be nice.

I really like your creativity and the idea. But ......and this is just my personal opinion, that console looks too modern for a 66 model car. It should be more rounded. But whatever way you do it, I'm sure it'll be nice.
I am definately going to make some changes after seeing one done by a guy on YouTube, but honestly the overalll shape is very similar to the original, which uses a combination of curves that intersect at sharp angles

I am definately going to make some changes after seeing one done by a guy on YouTube, but honestly the overalll shape is very similar to the original, which uses a combination of curves that intersect at sharp angles
Hey, it's your car. I still wanna see the end result. I'm sure it'll be nice. You got WAY more creativity than I do.

They made it out of ABS, to make is as strong as possible. They plan to make a full set but for now just 1 was made. They used an inner tube as also "stress tested" until it popped. It is an interesting series of videos. The printed wheel starts with this video, but it is slow to watch. He really doesn't get into it until about 2/3 through. The videos following this one are better to watch...

This video, he really gets into the details..

-
Back