3rd Gen. Hemi Swap Questions...

-

RTom

Depressingly A-Bodyless..
Reaction score
So, I know this isn't the right forum for my truck, but I've been striking out in all of the other forums I've tried (and we all know A body guys are the best anyways, right? 8)).

I have an 81 Dodge Ram 150 4WD with a blown 318. I've been trying to decide whether to rebuild the 318 in it, buy a rebuilt 318 or 360 or drop in a new 5.7 hemi. Buying a rebuilt 318/360 is going to cost me around $2k. I've got a line on a new (19k miles) 5.7 Hemi with the computer, ECM and gas pedal included for under $2k. Does anyone know of a place, or know personally what else I need to get for the swap? The engine came out of a truck so I don't think I will need to swap anything on the engine itself. I saw a story about someone droppin' a 5.7 in a Ramcharger, but I can't seem to find it know to ask them questions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

(And, this would be a 'trial' run for a 6.1 hemi swap into my 69 Dart GT Convertible :read2:)

You will want to use a 2004 or newer truck engine ECM. It has more tunability than the 03. You will need to have a Diablo tuner for what ever the engine/ECM came from as well as you will likely need a Diablo dealer to write you a customized tune (CMR tune) to eliminate some of the items not needed and to adjust some of the things needed to match up with your vehicle.

We are about to start dealing with those same issues on our shop projects.

-
Back