3spd Manual Conversion??

-

1972Swinger

Reaction score
So here soon I am going to get a 3-speed manual transmission out of a '71 slant six Duster. I have all the manual transmission stuff (pedals, Z-Bar, etc.) in the 4spd '76, so that isn't a problem. (He is getting the 4spd in trade.)

What is is that this transmission is a 3-on-the-tree 3spd. I want to put it into my column-auto slant six '72 Dart as a floor shifted transmission.

The problem is the shifter. The Mr. Gasket shifter I planned to use says it can't be used in Dusters, Demons, or Dart Sports because it interferes with a crossmember. Will it work in my Dart? Are there any other things I should watch out for? The tranny is a side-loader and has an unsynchronized 1st gear.

Thanks!

The '71 Duster with a slant 6 should have a top loader (903) in it. The side loaders (230) came on the V8 cars and is a much better transmission and was a floor shift trans. I wouldn't go to the trouble of converting to a 903. It's a piece of junk. Why don't you keep the 4 speed? That's the one to use and you can get factory bellhousings and shifters for it.
As for the floors, they're all the same from what I've seen. The floor shifter cars have the extra hump added but the basic pan, crossmember, and frame rails are the same.

-
Back